Recording video with Nikon D850

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
harleygnuya

Recording video with Nikon D850

Post by harleygnuya »

I'm trying to record video with my Nikon D850, using Helicon Remote, but it's behaving badly.

Setup: D850: Live view set to movie and on. Tethered to Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (Android tablet).

In the app, I've verified that Live View is on and I can see what the camera's seeing (the image changes as the camera's moved). I then go to Tools and can still see what the camera sees, until I touch Start Recording Video, at which point the view freezes. The app seems to freeze up as well, as it does not respond to any of my gestures. I finally give up and turn off the camera and disconnect it from the tablet. Despite this, the camera does record the video, but, of course, because I could not see what the camera was pointed at as it was recording, the recorded video is useless.

What am I doing wrong? I've searched quite a few different places and have not found any instructions as to how to use the feature of the app. Can I use Helicon Remote to take videos with my camera? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Ken
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Recording video with Nikon D850

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It should work. We didn't test with D850 specifically, but there were no previous reports about it not working either. It does work with D800.

Reproduce the freeze, then unplug the camera. At this point the app should in-freeze. If it does, send a bug report (menu -> Feedback -> Report a bug).
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

I have the same problema.
I can't record video video with a D850. Everything else works fine.

I've tried with a Samsung S6 and S8 and in both cases is the same.

When I push the button for video recording, the phone works very slow; and it doesn't record anything.

I think that once, in the S8, i've seen a message that said that the camera isn't in video mode, that it was in photo mode in liveview. But i checked and it was in video mode!.

I also see that the app notice that the camera is in video mode, because when i start the program with the camera selected in video mode, it shows a message saying that for full functionality I must put it in photo mode; not in video mode. I hope it helps

I hope it can be solve, because i like very much your App.

Thank you
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for letting us know. Could be that some changes in D850 made Helicon Remote incompatible with it in terms of video recording. We'll look into it.