Helicon Remote Canon 80D WiFi

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
peter3015

Helicon Remote Canon 80D WiFi

Post by peter3015 »

Has anyone successfully set up Helicon Remote on a Canon 80D using the in camera WiFi facility.

I have been able to connect to the app but the smart phone option does not give me any functionality. I receive a time out error on Helicon if I try to do anything on Helicon.

At the suggestion of Helicon support I have tried to connect via the desktop option (using 80D wifi) and have obtained a connection with functionality. However the connection seems to drop out randomly when trying to take a focus stack.

I have reset the camera and reinstalled the Helicon Remote app.

Would be grateful for any advice or a step by step guide if anyone could supply one.

Regards, Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote Canon 80D WiFi

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It has recently became known that Smartphone mode is not compatible with Helicon Remote with some new Canon cameras (possibly, all of them released after a certain point in time). I can confirm that 80D and 6D Mk II are on the list. These cameras do, however, work in EOS Utility mode.

Now, as for the camera dropping connection for no apparent reason: we don't have any idea why that occurs, but we're keeping an eye on it and will investigate the problem.
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

Thanks Stas.

Is there any specific information I could supply to help resolve the issue?

Cheers, Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

None right now, thanks for the offer. We've just got a 80D, will experiment with it.
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

I have just attempted (4 times) to take a series of photos for a stack (7 photos) but have experienced loss of camera to Helicon remote connection during the taking of the photos.

This was using the eos utility connection mode.

I have successfully connected Cascable and Canon connect to the 80D with no issues and the 80D to the eos utility.

As it stands Helicon Remote is currently unusable. Hope to hear from you as soon as you have any results from your use of the 80D

Peter.
Juppeck

Post by Juppeck »

Stas Yatsenko wrote: 18.01.2018 17:22 It has recently became known that Smartphone mode is not compatible with Helicon Remote with some new Canon cameras (possibly, all of them released after a certain point in time). I can confirm that 80D and 6D Mk II are on the list. These cameras do, however, work in EOS Utility mode.
And you can add the EOS 5D Mark IV to the list. The experience confirms my expection. The newer Canon EOS models handles many internal things quite different as older models. I assume that this time was the start of release the EOS 80D. This is followed by the later relased 77D, 6D Mk-II and 5D-MK4. I would not surprized if the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and EOS M50 will also have a different behavior as the models released before in various points of interconnection. Third-Party peripherie often got issues, who previously works without.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You're right, 5D Mk IV also cannot be used in Smartphone mode right now with Helicon Remote. Don't know for sure about 77D, but your assumption seems reasonable, it's probably affected as well.
dxjunky

Post by dxjunky »

The EOS 80D has got no issue using Wifi and Helicon remote. Be care about the "Interframe Delay" at capture time. Some heavy lenses needs more time as 300ms.
Lost connections are often possible if a router is used between the computer and body. The data tranferrate will be dropped and somtimes it will loose the connection. I had successful and reliable wifi connection using the direct-connection instead via an access point.
BTW: somtimes the wifi network is quite busy and will be also a source of instablities.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have now fixed the problem that was originally being discussed here. Smartphone mode is now supported, and recommended as using EOS Utility mode will indeed result in sporadic disconnects.
captaindon130

Post by captaindon130 »

I have a Canon 77dD and have been unable to connect Helicon Remote to the camera. The camera will connect to the Canon app so I know the WiFi appears to be working. Is there any help you can suggest?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Need more details. At which point of the connection process does the problem occur, as far as you can tell? What doesn't work?
Note that you absolutely cannot have Canon Connect running, it will mess everything up. In some cases it had to be uninstalled as it was impossible to prevent it from running automatically (on iOS).
captaindon130

Post by captaindon130 »

Sometimes originally I got a connection but now the app just says camera not connected. As mentioned the connection is stable with Camera Connect. In the past I have completely removed CC but still had a problem. I need only the remote function for my photography class tomorrow evening but will try again. I thought I was going to be a hero providing the class a way to do focus stacking but I guess it is not ready yet. All the class but one have Canon DSLRs.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It shouldn't be so difficult and there's no reason why it wouldn't work, I'm sure we can resolve this problem. But probably not until your class, unfortunately (because of the time zone difference).

First of all, make sure you have the latest version of Helicon Remote installed (check for updates in the App Store).
Next, here is the connection procedure:
1. Run Helicon Remote.
2. Clear the Wi-Fi settings in the camera body, then re-activate Wi-Fi. Choose the Smartphone mode. (Skip this step if you've already done this recently).
3. Make sure the camera is turned on and Wi-Fi is active (look for the Wi-Fi icon on the camera body screen).
4. Connect your computer or mobile device to the Wi-Fi network created by the camera.
5. Switch back to Helicon Remote and Press "Select a camera". You should see an "Auto-detected Canon camera" item. Tap it once to pair.

If the camera is not detected at this point, please connect your device to Internet and send a bug report from the app (menu -> Feedback -> Report a bug). Be sure to include a brief description of the problem so that we know what to look for (e. g. "Canon camera not detected").