video recording not working

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RedNaxel

video recording not working

Post by RedNaxel »

Hi,
I've installed the HeliconRemote iOS version and can't get the video recording to work.
When I click the "start/stop video recording" text, nothing happens. Everything else seems to work fine.

I'm on iOS 11, Nikon d5300, connected over WiFi.
mrose

Re: video recording not working

Post by mrose »

Unfortunately it's nothing to do with Helicon, I have had the same problem with my D750. It's a camera firmware problem.
On Page 172 of the D5300 manual -
Terminating the Connection
Wi-Fi can be disabled by:
• Starting movie recording
"can" should be changed to "unfortunately will be"!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's right, you can't record video over Wi-Fi. However, there should have been an explanatory message from the app on this matter, would have helped avoid the confusion. We'll look into and figure out why it didn't work with your camera.
mrose

Post by mrose »

Stas, I could be mistaken but I think all the App will see is that the camera has disconnected. Maybe the camera does send a message first?
I wonder if this a trend with Nikon as we now know of two that do this, but why? It is also very poor that the words are well buried in their user manual. I may download some more recent manuals and look. My D610 works fine.
I have looked at the D5500 and the manual p230 is the same - disabled!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You are correct. Which is why in the future our app will simply display a message when you activate invoke video recording, it will not actually execute the command that results in the camera disconnecting.