Wireless tethering with Canon 5D-MK4?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
esparks

Wireless tethering with Canon 5D-MK4?

Post by esparks »

Hello...

Has anyone tethered a Canon 5D-MK4 to Helicon Remote successfully using the camera's built-in WiFi capability? Helicon Remote will not recognize the camera when connected to the PC in either the Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure wireless modes. Adding the camera's IP address manually does not change the symptom.

The Canon EOS utility will connect to and control the camera successfully in either type of wireless connection. Helicon Remote works as expected when the camera is connect to the PC via USB.

When the PC is connected wirelessly, I can ping the camera successfully and have confirmed that the Helicon firewall rules for TCP and UDP are in place and enabled. I can also observe outbound TCP traffic from the camera on the correct port, and see an acknowledgments from the PC -- but still no joy.

I'm about out of troubleshooting ideas. Can anyone from Helicon confirm that the 5D-MK4 was tested successfully with a wireless connection?

Windows 10 Pro
Helicon Remote v3.9.1 W
Canon firmware v1.0.4

Thanks for your help...
Ed
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Wireless tethering with Canon 5D-MK4?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It could be that the system is simply misconfigured in some way. For instance, you have to be certain the IP address is correct when you're adding the camera entry manually. On the other hand, if you did add it correctly, then Helicon Remote has no choice but to connect to the camera. What message are you getting when clicking this entry under "Select a camera"? Is it "No device with such address found", or "Camera refused connection"?
If it's the former, then my next question is whether you have more than one network adapter on your computer. If you do, that is likely why it doesn't work.
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

I am struggling with this myself. I have a 5D4 and I’m following the instructions for the 6D, which are on the app. I am on an ipad. The instructions show to connect to the ‘helicon’ network, while going though the EOS utility section of the wireless settings. Does that mean that Helicon creates its own network? Because i’m Not seeing a Helicon network. Or do I choose my home wifi network? Please help.
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

83B3EBF9-03EA-4754-A514-6BFA6D6464B7.png
This is the message I’m getting
(403.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
This is the message I’m getting. :(
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

E194D9EE-A779-453E-AA06-5F6126190191.png
(289.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
119AF70D-B5F2-4BC7-A7A4-E9D9834C545F.png
(286.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It seems to be recognizing the camera, but then it tells me that the camera refused to connect.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The 6D manual is outdated, it doesn't show how to use the Smartphone mode which is what you need. You did everything correctly. This message means that you need to reset and re-enable Wi-Fi in the camera body. Make sure that the Canon app is not running or you will get the same error over and over when the Canon app "steals" the camera from Helicon Remote.
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

Ok thanks I’ll try it out. So I’m hooking up the camera to Helicon the same way I would do it to the canon app, with the smartphone easy feature. Got it. Thanks! Wish me luck.. :)
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

Ok, so I was able to connect, but the app appears to be unusable. Most of the options are either greyed out or I can access them but I am unable to change the settings, no matter how many times I click something. Help? I have reset my camera settings and uninstalled/reinstalled the app, to no avail. I’m shooting Canon 5D4 and 100mm f/2.8 L. I bought the license so I should have full access.
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

Have you tried using the Computer option instead of the smartphone option. I have the same issue with the ipad, 80D smartphone option but can connect through the computer option (top right option )' I get the necessary functionality in the various modes on the HR interface but the connection keeps dropping at random times. You might try this mode. I would be interested in hearing what success or otherwise you have.

My 750D worked perfectly for 18 months so I am quite frustrated with the 80D/HR issues.
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

I tried to get it to connect via the computer option but I was following the old 6D instructions. Couldn’t figure out which network to choose in the list. Do I choose my home wifi network?
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

You should be able to connect to the iPad via the canon 5D wireless. The smartphone connection does not appear to work so i will email you the steps to connect through one of the other options. I will use your email through your profile. May not get it done tonight but will possible be able to do it tomorrow.

Cheers, Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry, I forgot that 5D Mk IV has this problem (or, more precisely, the app has this problem with 5D Mk IV). Yes, you need to use the computer / EOS Utility connection mode instead of Smartphone. Then choose "Quick connection", and the camera will host its own Wi-Fi network just as in Smartphone mode.
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

Thanks to both of you. I will try it this evening when I get home from work. Wish me luck. :-)
spiffypix

Post by spiffypix »

Trying not to get frustrated. Still no luck. These are the messages i’m Getting after doing EOS utility/quick connection.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=827

download/file.php?mode=view&id=826
Attachments
0A92987D-55C6-4C8C-B4C9-8A7E2CFEAB6C.png
(403.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
D9C04E30-7D2D-4ADF-BB5A-9C748C7053FD.jpeg
(1.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet