D850 with ipad

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Pixelbound

D850 with ipad

Post by Pixelbound »

Hi there

Is it possible to use the ipad version of helicon remote with the nikon d850 and if so, is there a guideline available?

Thanks

Steven
Stas Yatsenko

Re: D850 with ipad

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I think it's possible, but a bit tricky because of the Snapbridge app being involved. We don't have detailed instructions because we don't have a D850 body, but it goes along the lines of:
1) Run Helicon Remote. Do NOT run the Nikon remote control app, make sure it's not running.
2) Use Snapbidge to activate Wi-Fi in the camera body.
3) Connect to the Wi-Fi network hosted by the camera.
4) Switch to Helicon Remote. It should detect the camera. Press "Select a camera" and tap the "auto-detected Nikon camera" item to connect to the camera.
Pixelbound

Post by Pixelbound »

hi Stas

Tried this but does not work. From the moment you leave the snapbridge app the camera’s wifi signal stops. Shame. Nikon should build helicon into their snapbridge app, would be much more convenient than their focus shift they now have in the d850, a silly way of working since you can’t fix start and end focusing points! I prefer your software, but a pity you always have to carry a laptop with you.
Will the ipad app ever work with Fuji XT2?

Thanks

Steven
mrose

Post by mrose »

I have already posted this :This man demonstrates it working for QDSLRDashboard. He says it works with version 2.01 as well as the 1.3 demonstrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFum1ogPW-s

"Connecting the D850 to a Mac using Snapbridge on an iPhone using Snapbridge as interim connector Once you have connected the D850 to the Mac or any second device, you can even turn of the device that runs Snapbridge.
1. Prerequisites An Apple mobile device running the Nikon Snapbridge App. Android doesn't work as it connects directly to the Nikon D850 on the first device A second device running qDSLRDashboard that is able to connect via WiFi
2. Camera setup increase C2 value to 1 min Increase the C4 values Menüs and Information display to 1 min
3. Start the Snapbridge app on the iPhone/iPad Before clicking on 'Camera' to enable WiFi, check if the camera has recognized the connection, as well. Setup Menu - Bluetooth. After clicking on 'Camera' in the app, select 'Remote photography' to turn on WiFi on the camera. This should take not more than 15 s. You're getting a screen "The device will connect to the camera via Wi-Fi...." Stay on this screen. Once you got this screen, you're done on the iPhone/iPad. You have successfully turned on WiFi on the Nikon D850 and your second device is ready to connect. Stay on this screen until the second device has connected to the D850 WiFi and you have opened and connected qDSLRDashboard.
4. Set up the second device with qDSLRDashboard Connect the device to the Nikon D850 WiFi. Open qDSLRDashboard Click on 'Nikon' and qDSLRDashboard connects".
Pixelbound

Post by Pixelbound »

Hi, thanks very much. This works, I can fire up the wifi of the D850 from my iPhone, and then connect to it with Helicon remote on an iPad.

However, I can't figure out how to fix the focus points. I click on the first, and then it is locked, but I can't click on the second to fix it. So I can't start shooting the sequence either. I looked everywhere for a tutorial but nothing on the web…

Can anybody help here?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for reposting that Snapbridge trick. It slipped my mind that you need a second physical iOS device.

As for the focus points: after locking one of them, you must use the manual focusing buttons to navigate to the other one (<, <<, <<< / >>>, >>, >). You cannot use autofocus or rotate the focus ring by hand. Well, you can, but the app will not register that focus shift, so nothing will work.
mrose

Post by mrose »

Also the tutorials are on the web....
http://www.heliconsoft.com/helicon-remote-help-online/
stacking-tom

Post by stacking-tom »

The Snapbridge-trick works fine for me too.

But when I take a picture, the program crashes.

It crashes on the Windows10-computer, iPad and iPhone...

Does anyone have an idea?

Greetings!
Tom
Last edited by stacking-tom on 23.06.2018 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sounds like you've discovered a serious issue that we're unaware of. Unfortunately, it seems that you didn't allow your iOS devices to share crash data with the app developers (us, that is), so we have no way of getting any details on why it crashes on iOS. But we can get some data from Windows. Please reproduce the crash, then turn the camera off, restore Internet connection on your Windows system, restart Helicon Remote and send a bug report (either say "Yes" if a prompt to send the report appears, or go to menu -> Help -> Report a bug if you've previously disabled the prompt).
stacking-tom

Post by stacking-tom »

I have send a bug report from my iPhone.

With Windows-10 and USB is work fine, but not with WLAN with iOS and PC...

Greetings!
Tom
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You cannot simply use D850 wirelessly with Helicon Remote like you can other cameras. You need some extra steps and you need an extra device to activate Snapbridge on, it's been described earlier in this very thread:
https://www.heliconsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9714#p20891

Please note that we do not claim to support Wi-Fi operation for D850. You can try what's been suggested in this thread, and you can ask other users for help, but we can't help you troubleshoot any issues with this setup because we don't have a D850 body.
stacking-tom

Post by stacking-tom »

The Wi-Fi-connection is successful (with Snapbridge and an another iPhone)!
I can also see the LiveView and change the aperture, time etc.

But when I take a phote, the app crashed...

With qDSLRDashboard and Windows-10 is works fine...
With qDSLRDashboard and iPhone the LievView does not work but take a picture is okay...

But I bought the program "Helicon remote" and would like to use it.
Please help!
stacking-tom

Post by stacking-tom »

Alex (Helicon Soft developer) wrote me a mail:

Please go to the app's preferences -> Shooting -> Saving; set JPEG and RAW download mode to "Leave in the camera" and try again.

Yes, this works fine!!!!

And this works also with RAW + JPG-Basic, when i saving only the JPEG in the iPhone.

Best regards!
Tom
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're investigating the crash. By the way, do you mean that the app disappears from the screen, or that you're getting an error message within the app?
stacking-tom

Post by stacking-tom »

I get no error message.
The App is without response.