Compatible tablets or phones for Canon 80D WIFI

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
fielderda

Compatible tablets or phones for Canon 80D WIFI

Post by fielderda »

I would like to use Helicon Remote outdoors for macrophotography focus stacking. Does any have know tablets or phones that work well as a small monitor out in the field with the Canon 80D? Ideally using the 80D built-in WIFI is what I like, but could live with a USB tether if need be.

I've done some tests with my MacBook air tethered to my Canon 80D and this is a fantastic program!! Well done!
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Compatible tablets or phones for Canon 80D WIFI

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry, we do not take it upon ourselves to make recommendations of that sort. Besides, keeping track of all the new and state-of-the-art tech is a difficult task on its own.
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

I have used an iPad mini 2 with a Canon 750D and this has worked really well apart from a recent issue (under investigation) with the HR focus screen zoom.

I have just today purchased a Canon 80D and would be interested in the settings you have used on the Macbook when doing your wifi testing. I have not been able to get past connecting to HR with a live view but all the options under the tabs are greyed out and it ends up with the Canon locking up with a power off necessary to get the 80D working again.

Cheers, Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have replied to your e-mail. Short version: we are aware of this problem occurring for some users with some Canon cameras. It seems to be specific to iOS, but it could also be that we simply don't have enough data yet. We don't have a verified solution to this problem yet.

When setting up the Wi-Fi connection in the camera body, you have to select one of several operation modes. I assume you have selected the smartphone mode. Try the following: reset the Wi-Fi settings in the camera body, re-enable Wi-Fi, and this time select the EOS Utility mode (or PC mode, whatever it's called).
fielderda

Post by fielderda »

Hello Peter,

I'll prepare some step by step instructions with my Canon 80D with WIFI and Helicon Remote.
I found a few times, there was a lock up in the software, but now I have a process that works well every time.

David
peter3015

Post by peter3015 »

Thanks for that David. Look forward to the instructions. Hope you had a great Christmeas break.

Cheers, Peter