Focus stacking with Canon 80D and iPhone

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Focus stacking with Canon 80D and iPhone

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for more very useful info.
Do you have any idea why we weren't able to reproduce the problem with our 80D?
I could try implementing your sequence blindly (without being able to test the before/after behavior, because, again, our 80D just works), but would very much prefer not to do that. Need to figure out how to reproduce the problem.

By the way, we have quite a few users with the Canon 80D body, and no one has reported this specific problem before. So we're not alone in not encountering this odd behavior.
Juppeck

Post by Juppeck »

Do you have any idea why we weren't able to reproduce the problem with our 80D? ...
By the way, we have quite a few users with the Canon 80D body, and no one has reported this specific problem before. So we're not alone in not encountering this odd behavior.

Can you explain why the bodies (80d and 5dmk4) and lenses (Sigma and Canon) does not works as expected?
Can you explain why the 600D used the same lenses, computers, cables, works as expected?

One of the nice thing about technology is, that you do not have to speculate, but you can investigate why something works or not.

I am not a Canon developer, so I can not figure out how extensive the changes of the firmware is and what the implications is. I am the customer who figured out that something does'nt works as it should. You maybe, have more insight into the canon firmware and will be able to determine the problem better than me.

In general, i did not want to develop anything but just take pictures. That was the reason to buy a Software instead write or modify them.

I am not deep familar in develop Windows programs for camera's or lenses, but in firmware development for industrial applications since a few decates. I understand how software works and what parts of them are resposible for what. It's not Magic.

I also had not recomend using the methode i had descripted before. That's was a quick & dirty hack to find out, what the dslr doing under different Setup's - just drop and forget them anyway. It's your software, your business, your decision.

I will now solve "my problem" alone.

Thank you for the inspiring exchange of ideas.

Juppeck
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I don't recall ever calling this "your problem". But fair enough.
Canon does not publish any documents that could give insight into its firmware's inner workings, so your guess is as good as mine. We don't have any inside on Canon firmware besides what we observed and reverse-engineered.
Juppeck

Post by Juppeck »

Well, i had implemented my final solution in the source of digicamcontrol, so a further discussion is not required.
Thanks for all.
stevesmith24644

Post by stevesmith24644 »

Thanks for sharing!
Juppeck wrote: 14.04.2018 22:53 Well, it's would be a good idea to know, what kind of lenses you had testet with your 80D. In addition, a detailed description of your Setup would take clear it.
As i understand, the lense does not initiate a re-focus operation. The body control the lense, not the lense the body. Followed this assumption, why should a lense focus motor init a move-back, even the body will not send this command?
And in addtion, the lenses i had testet on "older Bodies" where all the same and all of the are work as expected. I assume that the newer body will be the root of the issues.

Focus issues with Sigma lenses mostly are front- or back-focus related. Sigma lenses are often got other optics than canons lenses. The problem of them and other third-parties is, that they are not supported by the bodies firmware and the API of the firmware an the communication protocols are unavailabe. The optic are often better and cheaper than canon and the third-parties do a good job, that the selled devices are works proper.
Helicon is also one of this third-party and i guess that they are not supported by canon, too. In my case, my checked Canon L Lenses don't work too.

Canon is responsible for all changes and lately responsible for the issues, not Helicon or Sigma. I aggree so far in this statement, but this will not helps any further.

I am sure that the bodies firmware are responsible for the issues and not the lenses or helicon remote software. I don't expect that the behavior is different on the Android or Apple APP.

-----
An additional observervation of my actual running test with the EOS80D and Sigma EX 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro could be interessting to find out where the issues related to. helicon.JPG
If the DOF Preview option is unflagged, the focus will not work, the focus moves undefined, both fixed focus points are getting wrong. If the function is selected again, software development company the Point A & B are fix and i can moved the fokus between both points by using the arrows, without lost steps!! I had prevently expand the inter-Stepping wait time from 200ms to 400ms, to give the Stepper motor more time to move the lense group - this lens is a "grandmom". Everything is looking good, until i "start shooting". Immediately i do this, everything is went wrong. At first, the fokus is moved out of any sharpness, moves anywhere and undefined in the hole available focus range of the lense. It's impossible to stop this by using the software - need to switch-off the body. It look's funny anyway. I don't know where the different is, using the the steps manually by the arrows, and later the moving by the software and doing a picture.
Capture a single picture using the button "take picture" works as expected. The focus will be unchanged.