IOS with Canon 6D in the field

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
cbutterworth

IOS with Canon 6D in the field

Post by cbutterworth »

I want to be able to use Helicon Remote on my iPad with my Canon 6D in the field.

How can I set this up?

Thanks,
Charlie
cbutterworth

Re: IOS with Canon 6D in the field

Post by cbutterworth »

Thanks, I had followed that manual a while ago and got connection successfully.

I then reset the camera's wifi and couldn't connect back directly between Remote and my 6D. After resetting Remote and 6D using my home network, everything works fine using the 6D to Computer option under wifi settings.

However, I also set a 6D to smartphone profile that allows camera to Remote connectivity that I can use without needing a home network.

Regards,
Charlie
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The manual needs to be updated because it currently doesn't mention the Smartphone mode, but it is now supported. So yes, definitely use the Smartphone mode in the field.
If something doesn't work, please provide more details.
timallen

Post by timallen »

having tried (and failed) last night to connect my smartphone (iPhone 6) to my Canon 6D, I am after a bit of advice.
The manual only talks about connecting a Desktop PC to a network.
If I choose Smartphone in the 6D menu and Enable it's wifi network and connect my iphone to the 6D's wifi I just get a message saying no camera connected!
What am I missing?

Thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. Make sure the app is already running when you turn the camera on or when you connect to its Wi-Fi.
2. Look for a "Network camera" entry under "Select a camera". Tap it to connect.
Canon6DOwner

Post by Canon6DOwner »

I have had the same exact experience. I can connect from the iPhone to my 6D through a network. When I try to direct connect, I can't get the phone and camera to pair. Help please!!!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. Make sure no other camera-related apps are running, especially Canon Connect. You may need to uninstall it if you have it.
2. Run Helicon Remote.
3. Clear the Wi-Fi settings in the camera body, then re-activate Wi-Fi. Choose the Smartphone mode.
4. Connect your mobile device to the Wi-Fi network created by the camera.
5. Press "Select a camera" in Helicon Remote . You should see an "Auto-detected Canon camera" item. Tap it once to pair.
Canon6DOwner

Post by Canon6DOwner »

Hello Stas,

I'm now easily connecting my iPhone to the Canon 6D. I thought I had things figured out and went ahead and purchased the license. I won't to do time lapse photography and there aren't many options out there for an iPhone connection and control of my Canon 6D.

I've now discovered two big issues. The interval is not taking the picture at the correct time. I don't see clear instructions in this regard, but believe this is the interval of picture taking in seconds at 1 to some very large number between shots. Don't see how multiple shots per second would be possible.

The camera does go through the motions of taking a picture, but no image is saved to the card.

Help please.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. If you're referring to the "Interval" field on the Focus panel, then it's related to focus bracketing and specifies the number of focusing steps between two adjacent shots.
If you're referring to the time lapse tool, then indeed this is the time interval between shots in seconds. And yes, you cannot achieve multiple shots per second in this mode. The only way you can is by using the burst shooting function.

2. Yes, by default the images taken from the app are not saved to the memory card. This is configurable in the app settings: menu -> Settings -> Image saving -> Download raw / JPEG images after shooting.