Feature request for Olympus/Ximea cameras

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
andreh78

Feature request for Olympus/Ximea cameras

Post by andreh78 »

Dear all,

I have been using Helicon Focus for over eight years now, and I am still surprised about the amazing ease of use, and of the high quality of images in comparison to the proprietary software solutions provided by microsope and camera producers (I have used image stacking software by Zeiss, Olympus, and Leica until now).

However, I am dearly missing the possibility to use Helicon Remote with additonal camera models. At our lab, we recently acquired an Olympus SX10 binocular with an Olympus UC90 camera, and unfortunately I cannot use Helicon Remote with it, while being stuck with Olympus' bulky and bad "Stream" software.

The UC90 is basing on a Ximea camera, with Ximea providing exhaustive API support on their homepage (https://www.ximea.com/support/wiki/apis/APIs). This makes me think that implementation could be done quickly. However, it will still require working time, and of course a strategical decision to widen the spectrum of supported devices.

So my question is now: Are there any plans to support Ximea/Olympus cameras in the future?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Feature request for Olympus/Ximea cameras

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There are no such plans at the moment. These cameras don't seem to be popular enough to widen our user base significantly and justify the development cost. And even with the API, supporting these cameras will take a huge amount of time and effort. For one, we would have to re-implement it from scratch (what we really need is a protocol documentation, not the API).
andreh78

Re: Feature request for Olympus/Ximea cameras

Post by andreh78 »

Thanks for this quick reply! A pity though that supporting these devices is not yet planned. Yet I will keep up hope :wink: