Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks a lot. Guess I was confused by the "iPad" in the topic title, but it looks like you did every we need. Traffic logs for Helicon Remote weren't the top priority, but may way well come in handy, too. Our developers are looking into it right now, we will contact you once there are any news.
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

I too just spent a frustrating 1-1/2 hours discovering that the Canon W-E1 wifi card in my Canon 7D Mark 2 does establish a network that my iPad and my Helicon Remote both detect and connect to, but will not "work" with helicon Remote - Helicon Remote breaks the wifi connection a second after it recognizes the camera.

This is actually BETTER than what happened when I tried to open Canon's own apps! Neither the older EOS Utility nor the newer Camera Connect will see the camera, even after the iPad has connected. Canon's troubleshooting instructions are no help, as the camera firmware (the proper latest version - I checked right after I received the brand new 7D Mark 2 in mid November) gives you different instructions than the W-E1 card user manual does, and the Canon Camera Connect in-app instructions don't match those of the camera firmware!

What a mess.

Helcion Remote worked perfectly wit the wifi on my former camera, a Canon 70D.

Yes, Stas, I made sure that I purged both The Canon Utility and the Canon Camera Connect software before finally trying the Helicon Remote without those 2 other apps being even present on the iPad.

And yes, I returned the camera wifi to "as shipped" config, along with deleting both Canon Utility and Canon Camera Connect before trying Helicon Remote.

I hope some of the above may in some way help with the troubleshooting on the Helicon - W-E1 connectivity . . .

Jim G
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

This Canon link shows some very important differences in capabilities for the W-e1 wifi card used in the Canon 7d Mark 2 versus other wifi adaptors for other Canon cameras:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... ture-wi-fi

But shouldn't Helicon Remote still work with it. although with some capabilities limited or not there?

Jim G
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thank you for the link.

Yes, Helicon Remote should work despite these differences, and thanks to Gordon's help we have a workaround for this problem. You need to do the following:

1. Clear the Wi-Fi settings in the camera body.
2. Re-activate Wi-Fi in the camera body.
3. Make absolutely sure no other camera control apps are running (not even in background). You may have to uninstall the Canon app because it may run in background and connect to the camera automatically, "stealing" it from Helicon Remote.
4. Run Helicon Remote.
5. Connect your handheld device to the camera's Wi-Fi network. Helicon Remote should detect the camera, and the connection should hold now.
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

That works, Stas! Thank-you!! :)

Jim G
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

Just one more minor issue: I just purchased the lifetime Helicon remote license to replace my unregistered mode. A dialog box pops up now on startup of helicon Remote asking me to "sign in with your activation code". I have the activation code from my purchase, but "where" do I sign in with it??

Do I sign in within Helicon Remote on my iPad or at the Helicon website or ??

Jim G
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

When you first connect to Helicon it will say Camera is not connected. That should go away after a few seconds and then click Select camera in upper left and it should show canon camera detected. Click on that and then click on connect and it should connect. If you manage to connect then on the camera you can have up to 3 Sets. Label Set1 as Helicon. You can't use that set to connect to Camera Connect or other apps such as Cascable without making a new Set. You have to use a different Set for other apps at this time. Hope that helps
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

Ok, I understand now that I must set up a "Set2" or "Set3" for Canon Utility or Canon Camera Connect. I will do that.

But still need to know how to get Helicon Remote to recognize my newly purchased lifetime license. There is no apparent place to enter the activation code within the helicon Remote app.

Jim G
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

I entered the activation code on Helicon on my PC and it shows up on my iPad and iPhone as activated
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

WHERE did you enter the activation code on your PC?

Jim G
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

I am not at home right now but one of the tabs has license info and I put the code in there
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

are you sure it was in Helicon REMOTE? I cannot find anything except a "purchase license" button in Helicon Remote.

Jim G
JimGnitecki

Post by JimGnitecki »

Found the solution to entering the activation code: Had to delete my Helicon Remote app from the iPad and then download a fresh copy from The App Store. The, under Tools, there was a "Sign in" menu item. After entering the activation code using that menu dialog box, I got a message that I was successfully registered.

Jim G
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Hi Stas. Any more progress on not having to set up different Sets from those used by other apps?