Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 compatible with Remote on iPad?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's live view that chews power. Turn it off when you don't need it to conserve battery charge.
dxjunky

Post by dxjunky »

Hello Stas,

i have the same issue by using an iPad (A1893) iOS 12.0 Model MR7K2FD/A and Helicon Remote (actual Version, Lifetime lic) in combination with a Canon EOS 5DS / W-E1 and a 64GB CF-Card.
My camera also stops working after taken the first Picture and starts the secound Picture. The Mirror Flips up and the Body sleeps until a timeout or stop of the Helicon Remote. The same behavior on an Android TAB A 2016 (Android V7.0).

Some iOS and Android versions has passed since i had used the Android pad. To find out if the the any other Things could be responsible to stop the Show, i had successfully used them with the EOS 5D MK4 and EOS80D in the same way as the EOS5DS /W-E1. They are works proper as expected on both tablets.

It would be nice if helicon-remote works the same way as the other bodies i have available to use. I understand that the Wifi sdcard Adapter is not powerful as an build-in WiFi Card. I guess that Canon has some magic tricks left, that the Canon Utility works without issues. A complex System as a modern Body and without the details about the internals is a hard Job.
This is just an Information about my issues - not more. I can use the other bodies who are works proper with Helicon Remote.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we still don't know what prevents W-E1 from working with Helicon Remote.
dxjunky

Post by dxjunky »

Hi Stas,

did you have news about the W-E1 issue?

DXJUNKY
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Oddly the W-E1 Wi-Fi adapter works brilliantly with the Windows implementation of Remote. I have successfully completed stacks wirelessly using the W-E1 adapter and a Windows 10 laptop. It is only the IOS version that stumbles. There seems to be some minor glitch in the IOS version that prevents successful completion.
stshaw

Post by stshaw »

So this still seems to be a problem. After a couple of shots the camera locks. Disappointing as the website clearly states compatible with CANON 5DSR :-(
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Actually, all the info on our website is correct as long as you take it literally and don't try to infer anything that's not actually stated there. 5DS R is perfectly supported via USB connection on Mac, Windows and Android, so of course it's listed as compatible. But you're on iOS, where only Wi-Fi works, so you need to look at the list of supported Wi-Fi cameras further down the page. There you will find 5DS / 5DS R + WFT-E7A. We don't list W-E1 as compatible even though it does work on Windows and Mac (and probably Android, too, not sure about that).
ngerard1

Post by ngerard1 »

Bonjour all, I started the topic in...October 2016! And it does not seem to be completely solved in 2020. I Abandonned the idea to use Helicon remote on iPad with my Canon 5d s with W-E1. Now a new connection tool comes : The TetherTools Air Direct Wireless Tethering System. It is indicated as working with Helicon Remote and Canon 5Ds : https://www.tethertools.com/tethering-software/helicon-remote/
Can you please confirm it works fine? Regards
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

I had originally bought Helicon Remote to do focus stacking, with the understanding that they would get it working with the W-E1 card. I worked with them trying to debug it but they were using the wrong approach and I suggested that they needed to rent or borrow a 7D2 and a W-E1 card and debug it to get it working. I am assuming that they never got a camera to try it on because it never worked. There is no way I would buy the new tether app unless they have actually tried it on the 7D2/5DS with the W-E1 card, and that it works with the same Set as Canon Connect.

The design approach they were using required a separate Set in the menus so even if they did get it to work, then there would not be enough sets to use my iPhone or iPad with Helicon as well as Cascable or Canon Connect. If you create a Set for say your iPad for Canon Connect, then Cascable automatically connects with the same Set. This is how Helicon should have worked.
cogden

Post by cogden »

When it works, (most of) Helicon Remote's functionality remains THE BEST ON THE MARKET for complex focus stacking in the field.

However, Stas, the Canon WFT-E7A you mention is horrible. It's $750(USD), large (and no, not practical to screw on the camera bottom - that's where the tripod/plate goes), power hungry, and very difficult to make work.

For all your technical prowess, it's very odd that all the HeliconSoft engineers have been stumped by the 5DSR and W-E1(!) (going back to 2016!).

Cascable makes W-E1 work, easily. https://cascable.se https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cascable- ... d974193500

so does Kuuvik Capture (https://www.kuuvikcapture.com/the-book/)
and BTW, their critical Focus functions are TOP. Focus Peaking really works; you can zoom in then move around the image while zoomed in, even between saved points in the image √√√

Obviously, there is user demand for this to work - there are 5 pages on this post alone.

If the problem is that you don't have the W-E1, I would be happy to buy one for you today (only $25): https://www.amazon.com/Canon-1716C001-W ... 01KURGUZG/

Can you PLEASE fix this?

###
PS, it's worth looking at how Fuji's iOS app manages WiFi connection. It will automatically save the iOS devices current settings, change iOS "Setttings" to their WiFi, and connect to the camera (ZERO end user involvement). Then, when done with using the App, it automatically sets it back to the original settings. It's seamless and huge help in the field. It would be GREAT if Helicon Remote added that very friendly feature √√
cogden

Post by cogden »

Stas, if you all can't (ever) figure out how to make the W-E1 work (like your competitors have), would it work to us iPad in the field "tethered" via the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter? (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7KJDIM)
gordone22

Post by gordone22 »

Yes it’s very disappointing that they are not interested in getting a camera with a W-E1 card and solving the issue, when other APPS have made it work fine.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Buying a W-E1 is certainly not a problem. The problem is that we don't have any body compatible with it, and no other incentive to buy one other than for W-E1.
We're currently focused on the new version of Helicon Remote with support for new cameras, but also we've already fixed a couple issues with wireless operation. It could be that these changes already addressed the problem that prevented Helicon Remote from working with W-E1, we just need to release a public beta version. Currently, it's only available for Windows and Mac, and we're hard at work on the mobile version.
cogden wrote: 05.07.2020 16:25 Would it work to us iPad in the field "tethered" via the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter? (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7KJDIM)
Most likely - not. Up until now it has been Apple's policy that only Apple-made apps (e. g. Photos) can use USB connection. And I haven't heard of this having changed recently. So there is now technical reason why this wouldn't work, but there is an artificial restriction.
shubharora734

Post by shubharora734 »

I have the 5DsR with the W-E1 and can confirm that Helicon Remote 3.9.1 will not connect to it from desktop, Android, or IOS.
boi hrms
teatv
Last edited by shubharora734 on 04.10.2021 09:53, edited 1 time in total.