Suggested Histogram improvement

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Springsdude

Suggested Histogram improvement

Post by Springsdude »

When using Helicon Remote for Android, Live view become jittery (laggy) when using the Histogram overlay. Clearly the app is dealing with either an over tasked processor, a limited USB bandwidth, or both.

Is it possible to give an option in settings, to scale down live view's resolution or size while using the Histogram? This might reduce the workload on the processor and allow for a higher frame rate while using the Histogram option.

Daren
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Suggested Histogram improvement

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Live view is not that CPU-consuming. It's the histogram itself that needs some optimization. On faster devices its impact is hardly noticeable, but on older chipsets it does cause some lag. We'll look into it.
Springsdude

Post by Springsdude »

Thanks for considering my thoughts Stas!

Another thought - many of us don't have the latest and fastest processors on our phones or tablets. What if we had a "Numeric Histogram" option in settings. This option would forgo the graphic Histogram for a simplified numeric representation of critical histogram information. For example, all I usually care about is how close is my image coming to losing data in the blacks?...and what percentage of my pixels are being crushed to black. Just as a rough example, this numeric histogram could be displayed as 4 zones, left to right of the actual histogram (from black (crushed) to white (blown out)): B-10, G1-30, G2-40, W-20. From the preceding example, dividing the Histogram into 4 zones, from left to right, "B" represents the amount of pixels crushed to Black...in this case 10%. The next zone is G1 and the percentage of pixels that fall into this dark gray area...in this case 30%. Then you have the G2 zone and "W" or white (blown out) zone.

This is just an idea. You could simplify it even further by giving us these values: B-0, 12%....in this case, I learn that zero (0) pixels are crushed to Black and the darkest gray pixels are 12% (of the Histogram box) away from the left edge of the Histogram graph/box. Once "B" has a value larger than zero...the percentage value to the right of B becomes zero (0%). Thoughts?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This could do in a pinch, but we're hoping to speed up the graphical histogram so that it doesn't lag.