Setting Canon 80D, wireless Android

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
ChrisR

Setting Canon 80D, wireless Android

Post by ChrisR »

I select
"Canon camera connected automatically...."
But it doesn't connect.

"Check that the appropriate Network Profile is selected (Tools ->Network cameras -> Nikon profiles)"

does it think it's a Nikon?

I tried "Add "
Then HR asks for a Name and Address.
Would that be "SET1" (the default)
and the MAC address?
Evidently not! No go.

thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Setting Canon 80D, wireless Android

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The mention of Nikon is due to lack of a Canon-specific error message. No, it doesn't think it is a Nikon. You need to reset and reconfigure the camera body Wi-Fi settings.

The address must be an IP address, not MAC. There's no need to specify it manually when the camera is detected automatically. You would get the same error until you fix it (by clearing the Wi-Fi settings).
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

No go.
I've cleared the camera wifi settings to defaults.
Camera is set to communicate with smartphone
camera and phone do connect, with encryption key
HF sees a Canon for auto connect
but HF says the camera refused the connection.

No idea what to try next.
Went to camera network settings, and its asking for "name" - what's that?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Name is an arbitrary text that you can use to identify this camera among others.
Did you uninstall the Canon app? If not - you should, and reset the Wi-Fi settings again.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Did you uninstall the Canon app?
Why should I, if it's not running or stopped? That's like saying I can only drive down the street if everyone else has their car towed away first.

Ok I uninstalled anything to do with Canon or Nikon or cameras.
Reset camera wifi again.
Used auto select of the Canon camera "found".

Same result as before, connection rejected.

Uninstalled HR
Reset camera wifi again.
Reinstalled HR.
No go.
Slightly different in that when I press Network Cameras ( or the similar name) I get a blank subscreen with two buttons at the bottom.
No auto detect of camera.
Left one is Add - which wants things I don't understand.
So it didn't get as far as connecting with the camera.

Earlier you said it would want IP address - this wasn't available on the camera.

So I have to conclude that HR doesn't work, any usable way at all, with a Canon 80D. Even with a laptop by wire, it's much too slow to change focus - minutes.
Sounds like you need to get hold of one to work with. Then write some instructions when you have something usable. Good luck!

Having to remove other mainstream, (fully functioning, every time) software isn't acceptable either. If I'm away I can't reinstall it.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You don't always have to remove Canon software, but sometimes it is the cause of problems because it runs in background and can't be easily stopped.
As for the specific error - I don't have a solution at the moment, you've tried all the known solutions. The problem is not with 80D in general because it does work for many people.
The IP address is not available in the camera, but it's usually 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 if you're using the "Smartphone" connection mode.