Stackshot 3X and Remote

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
MikeCT

Stackshot 3X and Remote

Post by MikeCT »

Using Helicon Remote with Stackshot 3X

Because Remote can only control one motor on Stackshot, I have developed this workaround to combine both Remote and Stackshot 3X.

Disclaimer: I have only worked with Nikon cameras, but I assume Canon should work in a similar fashion.

Camera:
Either fresh batteries, or plugged into an AC outlet.
Set on Manual
Lens focussing set on Manual,VR off
Turn on lighting
If needed, turn on Remote Trigger
Plug camera USB into computer

Helicon Remote
Turn on Helicon remote
Check camera is recognized
Turn on Live View
Use fast Preview to adjust sample position and lighting
Under Preferences, set the location and folder to store images

To determine the number of shots that will be needed I use Remote to find the start
and end points using the A<->B focussing, and note how many shots (*) it recommends.

Stackshot 3X
Use the Stackshot manual to decide what type of shot you want. I am usually doing a vertical and horizontal scan of the object, with a stack being shot at each point.

Watching the screen, I set the beginning and ending horizontal positions, then do the same for the vertical. I set a 10 second delay (#) at the end of each position.

Using the on-screen focus assistance I set the beginning and end point for each stack, then enter the number of steps (*) obtained earlier.

Running the shoot
With all of the parameters set, turn Live View OFF
Press Start on the Stackshot 3X to start the run.

Using Focus
Because the entire shoot will have been placed in a single folder you need to separate out each stack. In an ideal case you could instruct Focus to work with groups with the size set by you (*), but sometimes the image transfer is too slow and, as a result, the system skips a shot. This means the count will be off and all subsequent stacks will contain images from the next stack.

To avoid this, I do the following: File: Batch Process opens a window for you to select the folder with all your images. When this loads, on the right hand side is a ‘cogwheel’ symbol. Click on this, then on Split Stack. Now choose ‘By Shooting Time’ and enter Minimum Time (#). Click Split, and the folder contents will divide into a stack for each position.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Stackshot 3X and Remote

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's odd that shots are skipped. You should send a bug report from Helicon Remote when that happens.
Or do you mean that the shot is not performed by the Stackshot at all, and not that Helicon Remote fails to download the image?
MikeCT

Re: Stackshot 3X and Remote

Post by MikeCT »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:It's odd that shots are skipped. You should send a bug report from Helicon Remote when that happens.
Or do you mean that the shot is not performed by the Stackshot at all, and not that Helicon Remote fails to download the image?
I am transferring directly from the camera to an external hard drive, not storing the images on an SD card at all. When I am running large stacks it seems that a delay is building up and the previous shot has not completed transfer when the next is due. Stackshot seems to react by not triggering the next shot.