Can't control focus with Canon 70D

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
jordachejeans

Can't control focus with Canon 70D

Post by jordachejeans »

Hello, I'm having trouble getting my Helicon Remote software to control the focus of the Canon 70D. I have the correct settings on the camera:
-FlexizoneAF[] (with the square, not the brackets)
-focus method and continuous AF to off
-focusing mode set to OneShot (not silent mode, just normal OneShot)
-QuickReview is off
-HDR is off

Before selecting the above settings, I reset factory defaults on the camera. I'm able to get the live view on Helicon Remote, but when I click the left or right arrows to adjust focus, a green progress bar appears under the "Focus Bracketing" section which moves for about 5 seconds, as seen below:

Also, while this green indicator is going, the gear wheel at the bottom of the screen is moving and says:

This is in a PC running windows 10.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Can't control focus with Canon 70D

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Did you activate live view before configuring the camera's focus settings? There are separate focus modes for LV and non-LV operation.
jordachejeans

Post by jordachejeans »

Yes, I did the correct settings for both liveview and normal shooting modes.

I should add that when I plugged in a Mac computer, it worked. No camera settings were changed. This problem effects 2 completely different laptops running windows 10 while running Helicon Remote version 3.7.0 W
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Go to Helicon Remote settings -> Tools, press "Wipe settings" and restart the program.
jordachejeans

Post by jordachejeans »

I have wiped the settings, and now I notice that when looking at the lens body, I can see that hte dial actually IS moving. However it's moving so slowly that that's why I thought it wasn't working before. When we use the "Big Movement >>>" button, the focus changes so slowly that setup takes forever. The Mac does not have this problem. Why might the windows computers exhibit this issue?
THanks
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Sorry if this is obvious/wrong but
Have you Disabled "Continuous AF" in camera menu?
If not the behaviour is rather like you describe.