A few questions/observations

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
baker99

A few questions/observations

Post by baker99 »

I am managing to use Helicon remote a bit more now the weather is improving, I have a Canon 700D & use an Asus Fonepad 7 to control it, I also have a physical disability so can't change settings or use the camera myself, I have the camera mounted on my wheelchair and use my tablet with mouse attached to control the camera, without programs like Helicon I wouldn't be able to use a DSLR at all.

In Helicon remote it won't let me change camera models, between Av and manual for example, other software does let me do this but that means switching out of Helicon, loading the other app, changing the mode, then switching back to Helicon which isn't ideal and sometimes locks up the camera, is it possible for you to add this feature?

When using the mouse long presses don't seem to register using Helicon, so I can't use a long press to zoom for example, outside of Helicon long presses work fine, to drag icons on the Android homescreen for example, is there any way you can fix this or maybe add a double click/ double tap to zoom option?

I am really enjoying using your software and find it's features, stability and ease of use much better than the alternatives.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: A few questions/observations

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Glad to hear our software helps you.

1. Try turning live view off, the exposure mode setting should unlock then.
2. By default, both short tap and long tap in the live view area trigger zoom in at the point tapped. You can customize the tap and long tap actions in the preferences -> Controls.
There doesn't seem to be any problem with this feature, at least not on our tablets. Note that long tap outside the live view area (the image area) will have no effect.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Thanks I'll give that a try, I usually set the single tap as autofocus, will try the long press for zoom again, may just be my equipment being funky if it works for you, zoom is really good in your app and extremely useful for manual focusing.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

changing the camera mode still won't work with live view and simultaneous lcd live view off, looks like it's greyed out.
Screenshot_2016-04-10-14-31-32.jpg
Screenshot_2016-04-10-14-31-32.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
Screenshot_2016-04-10-14-30-18.jpg
Screenshot_2016-04-10-14-30-18.jpg (127.36 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
Any further way to debug? The tablet is rooted.

Long press for autofocus and tap for zoom works, for some reason long press for zoom doesn't, but as it's working the other way round I'm happy.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Right, certainly looks grayed out, i. e. reported by the camera as read-only (not adjustable). Have you ever seen it not grayed out in Remote? Or have you seen this setting not available in that other app? I'm trying to figure out if the camera always erroneously reports it as read-only, or if there are other conditions that must be met for it to work.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

The other two DSLR remote apps I've tried let me change it without problem (but they are both based on the same software core), I don't think I've seen it not greyed out on Helicon so maybe the camera is erroneously reporting it like you said and they ignore it, I'll be in hospital for this next week so may not be able to check the forum much until I'm back home. Will be happy to test any debug versions when I'm back.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That works for us. I'd like to give a specially modified version of the app to try, but we can't make it right now anyway.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

I'm home after an exhausting week, just let me know when you want me to test anything.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Looks like it'll be a while before we put the app back together after disassembling it into parts and doing modifications for the next release, sorry.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

That's okay, I can still use it as it is now and it's still better than the alternatives :)