Software automatically changes camera settings

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Mr_P_Man

Software automatically changes camera settings

Post by Mr_P_Man »

Hi,

I noticed that with Helicon Remote open, my Canon 5DM III will randomly periodically change my Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and will also take pictures. It is really annoying since I use Remote for my work. Does anyone know why this is?

Also, when I have the camera settings just how I would like on the preview, the photo that is taken is significantly brighter where I must compensate and shoot at a different Shutter Speed to get the right photo when taking the picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Software automatically changes camera settings

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The exposure settings shouldn't change when the camera is set to M. Remote will only change settings on your demand. If it is in M, and you notice that the settings were altered, send a bug report (menu -> Help -> Report a bug).
It will take a shot on its own when you use the DOF calculator, and in no other case. That shot is required for DOF calculator operation.

By "Preview", do you actually mean the Preview button on the toolbar, or do you mean live view? That's a huge difference. Live view is never accurate, let alone if your exposure simulation is turned off. Preview, on the other hand, is always accurate because it is a regular shot. So in M mode Preview is guaranteed to correctly indicate the exposure. But not in other modes, naturally, because the camera is free to adjust the exposure settings.
Mr_P_Man

Re: Software automatically changes camera settings

Post by Mr_P_Man »

Thanks Stas,

I'll be sure to send bug reports etc.. when I get back to work soon. I've changed my Helicon pc so if it still continues to happen, I'll send a bug report.

Thanks for the info on the preview. I'll also look into this as well.