Helicon Remote iOS App for iPad

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
DennisMD

Helicon Remote iOS App for iPad

Post by DennisMD »

I have been trying to get a wi-fi connection with my Nikon D750 established over the last 2 days without success. Why is it so difficult? It's a piece of cake with qDslrDashboard. Love your products but this is poorly designed and poorly documented. i.e. I have read many times - go to Tools select network cameras. There is no such item under Tools.
All I want to do is to simply connect my D750 to my iPad Mini 2 to use it in the 'field' when I need to. Please guys get this one sorted!
Dennis
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote iOS App for iPad

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It is poorly documented at the moment. All the manuals are for desktops and Android, but the iPad app has slightly different UI layout. You have to press "Select a camera" and then "Add".
JCM

Post by JCM »

Ok, I've read almost all of the posts on this forum and still don't have a clue how to connect my Nikon D750 to my iPad with HR. Are there instructions somewhere that I am missing?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Here's the basic connection procedure for D750. If there's still a problem, tell us which step is problematic and what exactly doesn't work as expected.
Note that you don't need to use the Wireless Transmitter Utility for this camera.

1. Very important step: make sure no other camera-related software is running on the computer where you'll be using Helicon Remote. No official Nikon utility or anything else that could possibly communicate with the camera.
2. Very important step: reset / clear all the Wi-Fi related settings in the camera body.
3. Setup the wi-fi connection in the camera, connect your device to the network hosted by the camera.
4. Run Helicon Remote. It should pick up your camera: "Select a camera" button will unlock. Press it and tap the camera to connect to it. If no camera is detected automatically, proceed to 5.
5. Tap Select a camera -> Add. Enter an arbitrary name, your camera's IP address (typically 192.168.1.1 for Nikon) and select your camera type (Nikon / Canon). Press Add to confirm. Now you have a camera entry to connect to under "Select a camera" button.

The message about profile mismatch, should you see one, indicates that either step 1 or 2 is not met.
JCM

Post by JCM »

Thanks for the instructions, they worked! HR looks great on my new iPad Pro. Now I just have to figure out HR works on the iPad.
stevejayd

Post by stevejayd »

Isw there a wired solution for using the Iphone/Ipad with HR?
The iphone jumps between wifi networks while the D750 is connecting. I do not mind a wire.. much more reliable.
Steve
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No, only Apple-made apps are allowed to use USB connection.
wavmike

Post by wavmike »

I have been struggling for more than a month to attempt to connect helicon remote to my Nikon d750 to various iOS devices. I have followed all the instructions I have gleaned from this forum and the help item on the app, to no avail. the App on my iPhone and iPads discover the camera but will not connect. I have no other wifi enabled devices or apps on my iOS devices. The devices are reading and connecting to the camera. Helicon remote recognizes the camera and its ip address, but comes up with error "A network device with the specified address is not found. Check that it is powered on an its network address is correct" I have tried to connect on 3 different devices, with the same results. This is incredibly frustrating as it is one of the main features that compelled me to purchase this software. Is there a easy to understand solution to make this work?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Have you followed my second post in this thread to a letter? Is the IP address that you've entered 192.168.1.1? Anything else is probably wrong, and the error message clearly indicates that the problem is with the address. And, of course, make sure the camera hadn't gone to sleep mode due to inactivity if connecting takes too long.
strobes

Post by strobes »

wavmike wrote:I have been struggling for more than a month to attempt to connect helicon remote to my Nikon d750 to various iOS devices
I am glad it wasn't just me but I finally cracked it last night after trying everything else possible.
I am using Nikon D7100 with WU-1A and had to select "Nikon WT" in the "Add" settings in order to connect wirelessly.
After selecting the Wireless source as WU-1A on the iPad you have to be careful it stays with it instead of jumping to another source if you have an aborted connect.
Once connected it appears to work as advertised and iPad and tripod will travel now.
(Nikon WMU was connecting instantly every time)
wavmike

Post by wavmike »

Thank you. it was the simple ip address. i was using the ip address the OS was telling me the camera was on. Now that I am on the device, I am unable to shoot in Raw. I purchased the Helcon Remote premium package, do I also have to purchase an additional licence for this capability?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need to register your Helicon Remote version. If you have the problems with registration, please contact us via support@heliconsoft.com
wayne2193

Post by wayne2193 »

How do I set Helicon Remote to access my Canon 5DIV on my iPad?
Wayne
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Open the app, go to "Select a camera" and press Help. You'll get a guide on connecting wireless cameras. Go to the Canon 6D section - your 5D should not be that different with regards to the connection procedure.
wayne2193

Post by wayne2193 »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Open the app, go to "Select a camera" and press Help. You'll get a guide on connecting wireless cameras. Go to the Canon 6D section - your 5D should not be that different with regards to the connection procedure.
Tried this and it doesn't work.