Nikon D800 - can't get focus

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
rhodylady

Nikon D800 - can't get focus

Post by rhodylady »

I'm using the demo version of Helicon Focus.
I'm using a Nikon D800 and Nikon 105mm macro lens.
Camera is set on manual exposure, automatic focus. I've tried both AF-S and AF-C and have the same issues.
I've got good lighting in a studio setting; lots of contrast.
When I DISconnect the USB cable to my Win7 laptop, with Helicon, the camera focuses extremely well. I reconnect the camera to the laptop and Helicon Focus' automatic focus doesn't work. It racks back and forth and ends up focusing at infinity. I've restarted the camera, restarted the laptop, shut things down, etc.
When I give up and use manual focus I can set point "A", but whenever I try to set point "B" it tells me I cannot have two points in the same location.
And when I keep trying this over and over again, usually about every 15th try it will suddenly work and I get terrific results.
Suggestions? Help! When things *do* work it's amazing!
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Nikon D800 - can't get focus

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The contrast AF (which is the algorithm used when live view is on) is much worse than phase AF which is used when you focus with LV off and Helicon Remote disconnected. It is incorrect to compare the two methods.
As for moving focus - reset the camera body settings. If it still doesn't work, reproduce the problem and send a bug report (menu -> Help -> Report a bug).
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The contrast AF (which is the algorithm used when live view is on) is much worse than phase AF which is used when you focus with LV off and Helicon Remote disconnected. It is incorrect to compare the two methods.
As for moving focus - reset the camera body settings. If it still doesn't work, reproduce the problem and send a bug report (menu -> Help -> Report a bug).
rhodylady

Post by rhodylady »

I reset my D800 with the two-button reset and there was no improvement.
I've submitted a bug report.
I'm hoping it's just something stupid on my part!