Defining save folder (android)

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RichJ

Defining save folder (android)

Post by RichJ »

I have a Samsung Tab S with a SD card inserted.

The "Storage" window shows "Storage" and "SD". I have created a folder on SD "Remote".

I have tried various combinations to define it in the settings window of HR. None work (give "can't fine location" or similar).

What is the exact string required to access this location (must be on the SD card) in HR?

Thanks.

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Defining save folder (android)

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The only way to find out the path is to use some file manager to locate your desired folder and look up its path. Note, though, that if you're on Android 4.4 or 5, you're out of luck since those systems won't let you save to an external SD card.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

>"Stas Yatsenko"]The only way to find out the path is to use some file manager to locate your desired folder and look up its path.

Done that, it is not explicit, but I can set it, pointed to the SD card.

>Note, though, that if you're on Android 4.4 or 5, you're out of luck since those systems won't let you save to an external SD card

Do you mean 4.4 or 4.5 or 5.x?? (this is a new device, a month old)

Android version is 5.0.2.

I can move HR used folders to the SD card. Is writing directly to the card a HR problem????

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I believe you will not be able to write to an external SD (that's inserted in a slot) on Android 4.4 and up. Writing to the internal SD should still be possible.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

>[Stas Yatsenko"]I believe you will not be able to write to an external SD (that's inserted in a slot) on Android 4.4 and up. Writing to the internal SD should still be possible.

I do not understand. I can copy files to the Ext SD card. That is "writing".

Not being able to write from within software is absolutely useless.

Again is the a HR restriction???

If so, it means I have to stop work and manually move files in the middle of shooting!

The Windows version of HR does not have this restriction.

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You can of course do that. Apps can't. It is a new feature of the recent Android updates, it has nothing to do with our app. Apps can't write to a directory they don't "own", and every app only owns one specific folder with a path based on the app's name. You can't make Remote save images to, say, Pictures. The only folder it can save to is "Android/data/com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2/". If you create that folder and point Remote to it, it WILL write there. But nowhere else on the external SD card.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

["Stas Yatsenko"]

>Apps can't write to a directory they don't "own", and every app only owns one specific folder with a path based on the app's name.

> The only folder it can save to is "Android/data/com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2/". If you create that folder and point Remote to it, it WILL write there. But nowhere else on the external SD card.[/quote]

OK, now I have the right answer....

As a new Android user it took me a while to figure out how to point to that folder.

IMO, this is critical info that should be in the user manual (preferably a downloadable PDF so that users are not subsidizing their cell carrier... when needing to refer to it when not on Wi-Fi (which geographically is most of the USA and Canada...).

Thanks Stan, I can now use HR on my tablet....

Richard
mrose

Post by mrose »

IMHO Google changed permissions in Kitkat because before that security (permissions) was a total mess. The whole system was extremely vulnerable. Unfortunately this has now messed up Apps being able to write to ext SD because permissions can't be allocated to the ext SD format.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

>IMHO Google changed permissions in Kitkat because before that security (permissions) was a total mess. The whole system was extremely vulnerable. Unfortunately this has now messed up Apps being able to write to ext SD because permissions can't be allocated to the ext SD format.

OK, so all app developers need to adjust there manuals to reflect this. Not allowing saves to a SD card renders many virtually useless (given limited storage on tablets).

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Why are you set on pulling images to your handheld in the first place? Many users simply change Helicon Remote settings to only save images to the camera memory card. The only thing you'll lose that way is post-shot image review, but you can still do previews and everything else. Alternatively, you could set your image format setting to RAW + small basic JPEG (especially useful if you already shoot RAW anyway) and configure Remote to leave RAW in the camera and move JPEGs to the handheld. That way you'll get all the benefits for quarter the price - JPEGs will be small, faster to download, faster to display and less memory-consuming. The quality should still be more than enough for visual examination.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

by Stas Yatsenko » 16.07.2015 04:00

>Why are you set on pulling images to your handheld in the first place?

The reason I bought the tablet was so that I can see the images on the tablet. It's a 10.5 inch tablet versus the LCD screen on the camera.

> Alternatively, you could set your image format setting to RAW + small basic JPEG (especially useful if you already shoot RAW anyway) and configure Remote to leave RAW in the camera and move JPEGs to the handheld.

I have now done that.

What I had hoped to do was to replicate my workflow using the tablet. Shoot, thentransfer the files directly to a workstation.

I have now discovered that Samsug does not provide any means of reading the card while it is inserted in the tablet from the workstation (crippled!)... So I'm back to pulling the card, reading it, and then reinserting it. I may as well just do that with the card in the camera (It's way easier to handle a CF card the microSD card).

Richard
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

RichJ wrote:["Stas Yatsenko"]

> The only folder it can save to is "Android/data/com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2/". If you create that folder and point Remote to it, it WILL write there. But nowhere else on the external SD card.
I accidentally deleted this folder. It has been working fine for many months.

I have recreated it, pointed Remote to it (tapping on the tree, not typing it in). Remote displays:

/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.HeliconSoft.HeliconRemote2

Rebooted, repeated the above several times, checked spelling etc...

Remote returns the msg "... can't write to folder, check space, permissions etc...." (paraphrased), space available is close to 30 gb, SD card is inserted and can be read by other apps.

Android ver 5.0.1, Samsung Tab S (10"), must save to ext card, no space on int SD, cant delete (useless) pre-installed apps.

Ideas?

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The folder you created probably lacks permissions (is too restricted).
Try deleting this folder and reinstalling the app (it might be created automatically then).
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

by Stas Yatsenko » 16.06.2016 02:32

>The folder you created probably lacks permissions (is too restricted).

Then why not just change the permissions? On looking at it I see no (obvious) way to do this. I also notice that it DID create a folder inside that when I tried to use it. So, it failed writing the file... not accessing the containing folder (prev msg) that I created on the EXT SD Card.

>Try deleting this folder and reinstalling the app (it might be created automatically then).

Does Remote actually ask where to create the save folder? This folder **Must** be on the ext SD Card.

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

All the folder paths and settings are specified in the settings -> Saving -> Folder. The default is the default Android "Pictures" folder, which is usually in the internal memory.