Would like "Smart Manual" on exposure bracketing

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
TomK_VA

Would like "Smart Manual" on exposure bracketing

Post by TomK_VA »

You want to keep the same ISO for all bracketed shots, so you go into Manual mode and start adjusting the higher ISO to the desired ISO. Problem is, the speed does not change accordingly, so I have to get out my calculator (1/3 stop intervals) and painfully adjust the time for each change.

It would be very handy if the program would have an option to automatically adjust the time when the ISO is changed.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Would like "Smart Manual" on exposure bracketing

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's something to consider. Note, though, that for positive EV (higher exposure than the base) ISO will only be changed one step per several shutter speed steps, i. e. shutter speed has priority over ISO (the reasoning is you usually don't want the exposure getting TOO long as it creates problems), and for negative EV (lower exposure than the base) ISO has priority over shutter speed because lowering ISO has the positive effect of lower noise, while shortening the exposure time shouldn't have any significant positive effect as you were already prepared to shoot at your base exposure so you must have deemed your base shutter speed sufficiently short.

Now that I think about it, why don't you simply switch to "Time, then ISO" mode? It will start adjusting ISO only after the shutter speed range is completely exhausted. Which sounds exactly like what you were trying to do.
TomK_VA

Re: Would like "Smart Manual" on exposure bracketing

Post by TomK_VA »

Thanks very much Stas; I did realize this after posting "my rant".

I appreciate the quick response.

...tom