D750 and iOS product

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
David Edge

D750 and iOS product

Post by David Edge »

I'm trying to connect a D750 to an iPad, but it doesn't find the camera. The instructions talk about the standalone Nikon wireless transmitters only and seem to involve connecting it all up via the local Wifi network, rather than the one generated by the camera. So:

- can the D750 work with Helicon Focus for iOS?
- if so, does it have to be over the household Wifi or can it work direct with the camera's Wifi?

David
Stas Yatsenko

Re: D750 and iOS product

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

D750 works, and it doesn't have to be a pre-existing Wi-Fi network. Here's the connection sequence that kicks in after you establish the physical connection between the pad and the camera (ad-hoc or otherwise):

1. Very important step: make sure no other camera-related software is running on the computer where you'll be using Helicon Remote. No official Nikon utility or anything else that could possibly communicate with the camera.
2. Very important step: reset / clear all the Wi-Fi related settings in the camera body.
3. Setup the wi-fi connection in the camera, connect your device to the network hosted by the camera.
4. Run Helicon Remote. It should pick up your camera: "Select a camera" button will unlock. Press it and tap the camera to connect to it. If no camera is detected automatically, proceed to 5.
5. Go to Tools -> Network cameras -> Add. Enter an arbitrary name, your camera's IP address (typically 192.168.1.1 for Nikon) and select your camera type (Nikon / Canon). Press Add to confirm. Now you have a camera entry to connect to under "Select a camera" button.
David Edge

Post by David Edge »

Hi Stas

Okay, a couple of things I’ve discovered you need to do:
Tell the iPad to forget about the home network - otherwise it keeps switching back to it.
Set the Standby Timer on the camera to 30 minutes so it doesn’t keep shutting down while you wait for a connection.

Even given that I spent an hour repeatedly following the instructions above. Finally set up the camera manually as suggested (although that’s not under Tools) and connected. Took a few test shots, battery now flat.

New battery, restart. Did all the same stuff, reconnected again but that time got “Live View is Disabled"

Switched everything off, reconnected again, but this time get “The camera refused connection”.

Repeated. This time the error message is “A network device with the specified device is not found … Tools -> Network cameras.
But there is not Tools, Network Cameras - only Exposure Bracketing, Time Lapse and Start/Stop Video Recording

Rather bemused because I’m not changing anything yet I get a different error message with every attempted connection. It looks as though Helicon remote iOS has changed something on the camera - but what?

One thing that’s puzzling me is “Network Profiles” - are these not just for where you are connecting iPad and camera to the home network. Or are they necessary when connecting direct to the camera’s own Wifi network?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It makes sense that you get different messages because the camera's state changes. "A network device not found" means just that - either you've entered a wrong address (typo?), or the camera is turned off.
"The camera refused connection" usually indicates that you need to reset Wi-Fi settings in the camera body and set them up again. But in this case, I suppose, you just have to try once more.

Profiles are not applicable to D750 at all, I believe. That's only for WT-4 and WT-5 external wireless modules.