Where do I get a cable?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
PeterA

Where do I get a cable?

Post by PeterA »

My Samsung Android phone has a non-standard USB connector, as does my Nikon D600. I need a special cable, obviously, but where do I find it? Thanks!
mrose

Re: Where do I get a cable?

Post by mrose »

The Nikon D600 & most Samsung use standard micro-B USB cable connections.
The Samsung cable MUST be an otg cable to host the D600 and it has a socket for the standard USB -A plug, which is on the other end of the D600 cable. All these cables are very cheap on ebay. Look for "Micro USB to USB Adapter OTG Cable Samsung" & "USB to Micro B Cable" for the Nikon.
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. It does not have a micro USB connector, but only the connector shown in the attached photo (which shows both the male and female connectors). I use this to link with my computer. Can I use it to connect with my camera? Thanks.
Attachments
Phone.jpg
(180.39 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
mike_mccue

Post by mike_mccue »

The Samsung uses a "micro USB 3.0" connector. It seems like the Nikon uses a "mini USB 2.0" connector.

It's easy to find cables with a micro USB 3.0 connector, but I couldn't find the exact cable you need for your Camera and phone combo. You may need to use some sort of adapter to go from a common micro USB 3.0 to USB A male cable

and then adapt from the USB A male to get to the mini USB on the Nikon.

Start by confirming the USB connector size on the Nikon.

Good luck!
mrose

Post by mrose »

Sorry yes the Nikon is 5 pin Mini-B USB 2.0, your Samsung is Micro-B, USB 3.0
search Ebay for "Mini USB 2.0 to USB 2.0A cable" and "MICRO USB 3.0 to Female USB OTG"
otg.JPG
(38.32 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
minib.jpg
(37.27 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Thanks all for very useful replies. My adapter is "in the mail."
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The pictures look right. The main cable is the one that's bundled with the camera (you definitely have it if you've bought the camera new). It's the same cable you'd use for connecting the camera to a computer. And the second thing you need is a USB OTG adapter. Note that it's not just any USB A socket to micro USB plug adapter. It MUST be labeled as OTG or it won't work.

Looks like we should expand the FAQ entry with pictures...
http://www.heliconsoft.com/faq-helicon-remote/#cables