Is the Kindle Fire supported?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
TomK_VA

Is the Kindle Fire supported?

Post by TomK_VA »

Just wondering if this works on the Kindle Fire HD.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Is the Kindle Fire supported?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Not sure, but I don't think so. Amazon devices are too restricted.
focuswax

Post by focuswax »

There's a new generation of Kindle Fires out in the wild running newer versions of Android. I'm expecting to receive one shortly and I'd like to be able to use it for Helicon Remote. From what I have read, it is fairly easy to install the Google Play Store on the newer generation Fires and this does not require rooting.

Amazon devices are certainly "restricted," as mentioned above, but most of the comments I've found from previous conversations about this topic seem to be centered around older, incompatible versions of Android, and/or the absence of the Google Play Store, which is required to install the app. Since both of these restrictions are no longer applicable, is it reasonable to expect Helicon Remote should work on a newer Kindle Fire, or are there other hardware "restrictions" that are not readily apparent to a user but known to the developers?

Thx!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

My main concern was USB support, it may be lacking either on hardware or software level. The latter can be fixed by a custom ROM, the former has no workarounds.
If you're only interested in Wi-Fi tethering (not all cameras support Wi-Fi, mind you), then it should most certainly work.