DOF Correction Factor Ball Park Rule, Please

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Bugs Funny

DOF Correction Factor Ball Park Rule, Please

Post by Bugs Funny »

Presently testing H Remote. Haven't had any focus gaps but, I'm probably overshooting. Helicon's tutorial seems to imply that the correction factor remains the same for a particular lens / camera no matter what distance you shoot. Can't say I agree. Please advise.

Re ball park rule, I checked out Zerene's tutorial. Three tables plus calculations. I'll never do that in the field. What I'm doing is using an external DOF calculator. I split in half the DOF at the closest focus distance and divide it into the total distance I want to shoot to get the number of shots. I then adjust the correction factor to give me that many shots. As stated, I probably over shooting. Would 2/3 or 3/4 be a better divider? And also, if it was good at the front end, would it go wrong at the back end?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: DOF Correction Factor Ball Park Rule, Please

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

From our experience, correction factor is roughly the same for both macro and infinity.

DOF indeed depends on distance in a non-linear way. But focusing steps in Helicon Remote are measured not in linear units (m/cm/in/ft) but rather they define angle to rotate focusing ring between shots. And the DOF measured in this angular units is quite constant for all the lens range.
Bugs Funny

Post by Bugs Funny »

Thank you Stas. Your response seems to indicate that my ball park rule for correction factor will work front to back. But, would you consider rendering an opinion about what division I should use for the close focus DOF so as to not over/under shoot?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Have you checked the correction factor search procedure described in our manual? http://www.heliconsoft.com/HeliconRemot ... ION_FACTOR