Help! Issue with setting near and far points

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
waldenk

Help! Issue with setting near and far points

Post by waldenk »

I have downloaded trial versions of Remote and Focus and am very ready to buy...if i can resolve the following issue with macro photography.
When I attempt to set near and far focus points, the focus arrows on Helicon Remote work only intermittently. If i fiddle with them, keep clicking back and forth, they -sometimes- work.
My setup is as follows:
Nikon D4
AFS Micro Nikkor 105mm 2.8
Nikon focus set to auto, single point AF
tethered via USB to Win8 Lenovo t430 laptop.
This is a terrific product.
I just need to be able, of course, to set near/far focus points consistently.
Thanks very much to anyone who can help me troubleshoot/resolve.
Walden Kirsch
Intel/Oregon
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Help! Issue with setting near and far points

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's weird make sure that focus mode is indeed set to single-shot (AF-S) and not continuous or servo or anything like that (I'm not familiar with the specific focus options of D4). Reset the camera body settings if nothing else helped (you can save your current settings to a memory card and restore them after the experiment).
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

stas...i appreciate your quick reply. i was trying all kinds of troubleshooting. but the issue seems to have gone away after i moved the nikkor 105's focus limiter slide switch from (infinity-.5m) to (FULL). i'm not sure why that would matter. (i was experiencing the same issue on my older AF micro nikkor 55mm 2.8 that does -not- have a focus limiter switch. have not tried that lens again.) for now though, i'm happily in business with my 105. i bought focus pro, and have already produced some images that work perfectly for what i needed. you have great product! thanks a lot.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Ah, yes, the limiter will do that - don't ask me why, though. It's probably a bug in the camera's firmware. Glad to know you've figured it out!