Canon 5D Mk II with Galaxy Tab 4 7"

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dkperez

Canon 5D Mk II with Galaxy Tab 4 7"

Post by dkperez »

For once, it's not ME that's broken something!

A friend purchased a tablet on my recommendation of Helicon Remote as an image stacking solution. She bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" tablet.

When she attempted to install the version of HR from the Play store, it doesn't show up in the list of applications for "Helicon Remote". She (apparently) contacted support and was told the Galaxy Tab 4 doesn't work with HR.

I searched in here and found topics of people using Galaxy Tab 2 and Galaxy Tab 3 devices. And looked at a couple reviews that state the Galaxy Tab 4 HAS USB2 Host capability...

She does NOT yet have a USB OTG cable, so she can't plug in the camera yet to see if it's recognized (she knows she needs to get one, but it may be a day or 2), but WHY wouldn't the software show in the list? I find it very difficult to believe Samsung would REMOVE the ability for this tablet to work with HR, so does anyone know what's going on?
photisify

Re: Canon 5D Mk II with Galaxy Tab 4 7"

Post by photisify »

The 7 inch versions of the Galaxy Tab 3 (which I have) and the Galaxy Tab 4 are cost reduced and do not support USB OTG.

From what I have read the 8 and 10 inch versions of the Galaxy Tab 3 do. You can also see from the official Samsung product page for their own brand USB connection kit (this forum won't let me post the URL so you will have to search for it yourself) that these models are supported while the 7 inch version is not.

Jeff
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks, Jeff. We knew some Samsung tablets work and some don't, but didn't know the pattern. Your explanation makes sense.
dkperez

Post by dkperez »

Thanks for the replies... She's now sent the tablet back to Amazon and will see if she can find an alternative to the HR software or wait until it works flawlessly with her existing iPad.