D750 Wifi connection?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dfikar

D750 Wifi connection?

Post by dfikar »

I have seen some discussion here concerning connecting the Nikon D750 to HR via wifi. Has anyone been able to do this successfully on a Nexus 7 tablet? I can't get mine to connect with HR or even bring up the camera profiles.
Litteul_K

Re: D750 Wifi connection?

Post by Litteul_K »

I opened a topic about that, I am not able to connect my D750 to HR neither on android nor PC windows...
Could you please share your log to see whether we have the same problem?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

As far as I know, a 1 or 2 people tried it and were unsuccessful. Reproduce the problem and send us a bug report (menu -> Feedback -> Report a bug).

Profiles are not applicable to Wu modules and D750, so skip that bit. All you have to do (theoretically) is reset the Wi-Fi settings (just to make sure everything's done right and there are no remnants of previous unsuccessful setup), initialize the Wi-Fi connection, add the camera manually to Helicon Remote (Tools panel -> Network cameras -> Add. You must know your camera's IP address at this point), the click "Select a camera" and click the camera entry you've just created.
After you reset the camera body Wi-Fi settings, make absolutely sure you're not connecting to any other remote control program, the camera is not picked up by such program running in background etc. We believe that once the camera establishes connection with a program, it is impossible for any other program to connect to it without resetting the camera settings.
dfikar

Post by dfikar »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:As far as I know, a 1 or 2 people tried it and were unsuccessful. Reproduce the problem and send us a bug report (menu -> Feedback -> Report a bug).

Profiles are not applicable to Wu modules and D750, so skip that bit. All you have to do (theoretically) is reset the Wi-Fi settings (just to make sure everything's done right and there are no remnants of previous unsuccessful setup), initialize the Wi-Fi connection, add the camera manually to Helicon Remote (Tools panel -> Network cameras -> Add. You must know your camera's IP address at this point), the click "Select a camera" and click the camera entry you've just created.
After you reset the camera body Wi-Fi settings, make absolutely sure you're not connecting to any other remote control program, the camera is not picked up by such program running in background etc. We believe that once the camera establishes connection with a program, it is impossible for any other program to connect to it without resetting the camera settings.
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, do I just need to remove the profile I created with Nikon's Wireless Transmitter Utility from the D750? I also have a currently unused connection to the Nikon WMU app on my iPhone but it is not connected. Do I need to remove the app too? What is the connection type in HR? Auto?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You certainly need to remove the profile. You don't need to uninstall the app, but make sure it's not running. Auto should work, but better to set it to Nikon WT.
Litteul_K

Post by Litteul_K »

Any news dfikar?
Did you get to connect your D750 to HR via Wi-Fi?
juanisat

Post by juanisat »

I also have been unable to establish a connection that works properly.
I am using a Samsung Tab Pro with Android KitKat-4. something.
In Tab - Setting - WiFi the Tab sees the Nikon SSID and connects to it.

In HR I created a profile in Tool - Network and input the camera's IP-192.168.1.2
Now in HR when I go to Exposure, the first box became Select a Camera.
2 Icons show up when I click on it.
One is a blue square and the other a camera icon with a WiFi antenna icon under it.
When I click on either it gives an error message saying that "The Camera refused connection. Etc.
It tells me to check that an appropriate network profile has been selected in the camera and that the same profile should be selected on Helicon Remote (Tools - Network cameras - Nikon Profiles.
However if in HR I go to Tools and click on Network Cameras nothing shows up.
Also I have not found a way to delete the profile that shows up in Select Camera under Exposure.

Now if in Network Cameras I again add the IP address it does not appear and nothing happens if I click on Nikon Profiles.

It is also not working properly with the USB connection.
The Nikon d750 and the Tab see ea other both with USB and WiFi but Live View does not appear

Too bad as this camera has the right implementation for Live View so the image will show nicely once connected. On my D800 it shows only a tiny image in high def and if I select full screen it shows a low resolution interpolated image.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the profiles are only applicable to Nikon WT modules. It's a big grip-like thing that bolts on under the camera and costs around 1000 USD. There are no profiles for Nikon Wu modules or built-in Wi-Fi. Whenever a profile is mentioned - disregard it if you have a Wu or built-in Wi-Fi.
"The camera refused connection" message means that you must reset your Wi-Fi settings, perform setup again and make sure Helicon Remote is the one and only remote control app that you're connecting to. The camera remembers whichever app connects first and refuses connection to all other apps. That's why reset is neccessary in this case. With Nikon WT you would simply need to create a new software profile, but Wu only stores one profile, hidden from the user, with no tools for the user to manage it.

To delete the camera entry, go to Tools -> Network cameras, long-tap the entry and select to delete it from the drop-down menu. A fairly standard approach for Android apps.

As for D800 live view - it has pretty low resolution: 640 x 480. If you disable scaling, this image will only occupy a small fraction of the screen, especially if it's a retina screen (individual pixels are very small). And, of course, if you stretch this small picture to fit the entire screen, you will now clearly see that it is, in fact, very low resolution. There's no software bug here.
It seems that 750D still has the abysmal 640x480 live view resolution.
llib3rt

Post by llib3rt »

Hello, I have a Nikon D610 and WU-1b, I'm following the instructions you explain and I can not connect the tablet (Nexus 7 2nd with android 4.4.4) to the camera. It works with the usb cable bout not wireless. I get the message "Camera refused the conn..."

1.- I delete the cameras connection in the tablet and stop the application and forget the wifi connection
2.- Reset the WU-1b.
3.- Switch off and on the camera
4.- Reconnect wifi on the tablet
5.- Start helicon remote on the tablet
6.- Create the camera connection with IP (192.168.1.2) and Nikon WT
7.- Select the camera in "Exposure"
Then I get immediately the message "The camera refused connection. Check..."

regards,
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You're doing everything right. We don't have a solution for this problem yet.
mrose

Post by mrose »

I have already mentioned somewhere on this forum that when trying to connect my D610 /Wu-1b I may get the error message, but usually if I retry one or more times it will connect. Sometimes I have to close the app. etc. and then retry. It always connects eventually.
This happens with both my Asus TF101 and my new Galaxy Tab S.
Mike
nitinchandra

Post by nitinchandra »

I just tried my D5300 with the current HR and got it working after around 15-20 minutes of fiddling. Turned out to be quite simple on OS X and might be the same for the tabs as well since the network and routing would work the same way.

1. Switch on the WiFi on the camera and connect the system/tab to it.
2. Note the IP of the connected camera, in my case it was 192.168.1.2.
3. Don't enter the IP assigned to your system/tab, enter the base router IP instead, i.e., 192.168.1.1.

This works fine for me on OS X Yosemite on an iMac (will be checking it out on the MacBook Pro in a while, and perhaps an Android device as well).
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

So where exactly did you get the 1.1 and 1.2 addresses? It sounds like you might be confusing the camera address (which is what you need to input in the program to connect with that camera) and the computer / tablet address (which is irrelevant).
Since the camera is hosting the network, it makes sense to assume that the camera itself gets the first address (1.1), and when a computer or a tablet connects to it, it gets the next address (1.2). So yes, 1.1 would be the actual address of the camera if I'm right.
nitinchandra

Post by nitinchandra »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:So where exactly did you get the 1.1 and 1.2 addresses? It sounds like you might be confusing the camera address (which is what you need to input in the program to connect with that camera) and the computer / tablet address (which is irrelevant).
Since the camera is hosting the network, it makes sense to assume that the camera itself gets the first address (1.1), and when a computer or a tablet connects to it, it gets the next address (1.2). So yes, 1.1 would be the actual address of the camera if I'm right.
That is correct. The IP would generally end in a .1 for the DHCP server. So, no matter what IP is assigned to the device/system, replace the last digit(s) with 1. For x.x.x.x, use x.x.x.1.