Canon 5D Mark III MLU problems

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Schmier

Canon 5D Mark III MLU problems

Post by Schmier »

Although announced as fixed in the release notes of 3.4.1, I still experience the problem in the latest 3.4.7 on Mac.
When connecting the camera, MLU status is displayed as ON. But as soon as I Start Shooting, it automatically switches back to OFF.

Canon 5d Mark III with latest firmware, Canon 100mm f/2.8, Mac OSX 10.9.5
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon 5D Mark III MLU problems

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That should not disturb you, the camera is still shooting correctly. However, it seems that the MLU delay is not applied, that's a bug and we're looking into it.
I've figured it out. The camera reports that MLU is off when live view is on, which is exactly correct - live view is like permament MLU. If you disable shooting with live view in Helicon Remote settings, you will observe the familiar non-LV MLU behavior.
Schmier

Post by Schmier »

Thanks for clarification, Stas.

I observed that single shots (not all) shaked when taken and were blurry in Live View. To be honest, I never verified with the physically taken pictures (though it is difficult anyhow, because given the little DOF almost the entire picture is blurry). I thought it is related to MLU, but with your explanation, MLU is always off in Live View, it can't be the case. Correct?

Looking forward to see the delay bug fixed. And last but not least, thanks for a great program, which is addicting :wink:
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Technically it is always off in live view, it is indicated as off, but that's because LV is the same as mirror lock-up mode. When you activate live view the mirror goes up and stays there, never flipping down as you shoot. Which also means there is no delay bug, as I explained in the previous message. The MLU delay is the time between mirror going up and a shot being taken. This time (usually 1s, although even less is enough) is required for the camera to stop vibrating after flipping the mirror. But in LV mirror never moves so the delay is not applicable.