Multiple stacks overflow

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Chris Walton

Multiple stacks overflow

Post by Chris Walton »

When shooting multiple stacks, in succession, Remote freezes up after about four or five stacks. The relevant number of shots is taken; the progress bar proceeds to 100%; then the program moves the lenses focus to the closest position; and then the program freezes - no change to the progress bar; no further commands sent to the camera; and none of the software interface works. A workaround is to switch the camera off and on again before moving onto the next stack.

I was calibrating a number of lenses, including assessing the correction factor needed on various lenses for Helicon Remote. This involved repeating the same process multiple times, with slightly differing options. The problem showed itself after shooting four or five virtually identical stacks.

My equipment and process was:
All exposure parameters set manually (shutter 1/4sec, aperture max for lens, ISO 200).
Start focus point set initially for each lens (and set to the same point on the test object, irrespective of lens). All focus operations subsequently carried out via Helicon Remote.
Each stack set to take 10 shots.
Variable parameter by stack was the correction factor for Helicon Focus. I varied this in the progression: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.
Camera Nikon D90.
Lenses all Nikon, all macro, all D type.
GP-1 GPS attached to camera.
All equipment firmly fixed to tripod.
Device running Remote Nexus 7.
OS Android v4.4.4.
Connected to camera's USB port by cable.
Helicon Remote version 3.3.7.

The only variation between different instances of the fault was the error message shown when the camera was switched back on. These included (general sense - not verbatim):
Last session terminated abnormally.
None, but program required restarting.
GPS coordinates out of date.
None, and program just picked up from where it had lost the camera.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Multiple stacks overflow

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello,

I'm not familiar with this issue. Please reproduce it and send a bug report (before disconnecting the camera).
Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton »

The process I described was reproduced four times. No bug report is possible before disconnecting the camera, as HR does not respond to anything once the problem has arisen.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's even more weird. Then disconnect / turn off the camera and send a report. Just don't close the program.