D800 autofocus for points A and B?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dkperez

D800 autofocus for points A and B?

Post by dkperez »

I have a new D800. Unfortunately, I"m trying to figure out how to use Helicon Remote correctly...

Is it still true that I can only set ONE point (nearest or furthest) with auto focus? The other has to be done with the focus arrows?

The tutorial video shows "zooming" in to make the most accurate setting. How do I zoom in HR? I'm using a Nexus 7, and I hope there's something other than doing a "pinch", which often doesn't work and when it does, results in a very grainy visual? So, how DO I zoom HR?

And can somebody explain exactly what a "preview" does for me? I use it sometimes, but I'm not seeing what it's doing.....
Giorgio PAPARELLE

Re: D800 autofocus for points A and B?

Post by Giorgio PAPARELLE »

Yep, get the focus on the nearest point then move with the arrows.
For zooming, just click whre you want to focus and... hop, you zoom in...
The preview helps you to zoom in to check that everything is the way you wish.
:)
Stas Yatsenko

Re: D800 autofocus for points A and B?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Giorgio is right. Note that tapping the image will zoom all the way in, resulting in a very grainy picture indeed (because you have Nikon, those produce pretty low resolution live view). To alter zoom level gradually use the pinch gesture, but do it slowly. Since there's a delay between your gesture, the camera processing it, and the camera finally returning a picture with the new zoom level, doing it fast will most often result in weird behavior. Try zooming preview / review image, and you'll see that it's pretty smooth and simple as long as the camera is not involved (i. e., the app itself has no problems with pinch gesture).