Any chance to support Nikon J3 ?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
syfre

Any chance to support Nikon J3 ?

Post by syfre »

Could be nice as the J3 has no IR remote control (but supports the WU-1b )
I have tried Helicon remote on Android and Windows but say "not supported"
dslrdashboard on Android recognize the J3 but half of the functions don't work.
So any chance ?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Any chance to support Nikon J3 ?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We couldn't get live view out of J3, so we assumed it can't tether live view and stopped trying to make our app work with it. If there's any remote control software that can stream live view, we might make another attempt.
syfre

Post by syfre »

Thank you
With dslrdashboard some functions work but not liveview, not shure i want to put $50 in a Wu-1b to test the official nikon app. (which not work with a cable)
best regards
clav0

Post by clav0 »

Hi,
I am in possession of a Nikon J3 and a WU-1b.
I tried to connect the J3 by cable and WU-1b with Dslrdashboard. The connection is established, the Nikon D3 is recognized by the application, but nothing works (cannot do live view, impossible to take a photo). What do you mean by "With dslrdashboard Some functions work?".
I tested the Nikon J3 - WU-1b with Nikon application WirelessMobileUtility. The application recognizes the J3. It is automatically in live view mode (Nikon J3 is a mirrorless digital camera) and it is possible to take pictures. But this software is really too basic to be used.
Unfortunately there is no J3 SDK from Nikon at this time. Thanks to Nikon. So, i think, to be able to add support for it I would need one to analyze the data format that is used.
Cordially
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We'd support J3 on the same day SDK for it is out, but I think there will be no SDK for mirrorless cameras, at least not for the current generation.