Helicon Remote (android) broke my camera.

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
KeyGhost

Helicon Remote (android) broke my camera.

Post by KeyGhost »

this is how my cam behaves now.
watch?v=POwsHqUfZMA (can't paste link for some reason)

youtube vid. ^

i connected the camera with usb to my phone (SGS4)
took video and it worked fine for a year (taking out the now and then crashes of the software)
few days ago while the camera was buffering after i stopped the video, the program crashed and my cam got stuck. i waited for a minute or so and power cycle my camera.
and the result it the video above. i can't take pictures the camera get stuck from time to time and when i connect it back to the remote (android) i can't seem to take video more then a second.

i don't know how exactly but it seems the Remote triggered a flag in the buffer processor or something similar and it cannot be rested.

things i tired-

- different CF
- taking the battery
- power cycling
- uploading the firmware again.
- trying to mess with the windows version of the remote (which just crashed when connecting it to the computer)
-trying to mess with the android version so see if i can repair it.

no luck....

i'm sure it's not a hardware fault (meaning mechanical not electronic chips)
i'm almost sure it's a problem with the software of the embedded chip.

this happened just after using the Helicon remote.
the camera work fantastically for years.

anyway.. any help will me much appreciated every day without a camera costs me money :(

thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote (android) broke my camera.

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I'm trying to reproduce the circumstances you're describing with our 6D, but no luck so far. It is unclear what has happened, exactly.
1. Did Remote crash during video recording, or after you've stopped the recording?
2. I don't see any buffering occurring with 6D. Either older cameras, like your 50D, behave differently when saving a video, or your memory card is very low. What's your CF card rated at, in terms of speed?
KeyGhost

Post by KeyGhost »

it crashed when i clicked on stop movie.
and the CF is X133. it worked fine till now.

i got the camera to work (sort of) but it's back to where i had it.. firing on it own.
i've checked for how much buffer i have now.. and its about 5 mb. something is worng.
any tools you recommend so i can debug the cam ?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We don't know any such tools. Chances are there are none. Even if there were some, they would be for Canon internal use only.