Canon 100D with STM lenses

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
silverleapers

Canon 100D with STM lenses

Post by silverleapers »

Hello;

Installed the Remote and Focus programs on my windows 7 laptop and pulled in my 100D/SL1 canon. Everything seems find but the lens hunts continually (both the 40 mm 2.8 STM and 18-55mm 5.6 STM). I have the lens set far enough away from the subject to be beyond minimum focus distance (0.3m and 0.25m respectively) wide open (2.8 or 5.6) in good light with 1/8 stutter speed, iso 100, and no movement in the set-up. I can manage to set the "A" (ie closest point) even with some minor hunting" by the lens (and get a "beep" for a sharp focus...but then it starts hunting again (camera is set to Ai-servo and One Shot...but have tried many setting for the focus motor and none work). Suggestions?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Canon 100D with STM lenses

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want to prevent the lens from auto-adjusting? Then you have to disable continuous focus. Set plain AF-S. Keep in mind there might be different focus settings for live view and non-live view mode.
silverleapers

Re: Canon 100D with STM lenses

Post by silverleapers »

Hi Stas;

I'm afraid I haven't explained properly. I have tested EVERY setting on the camera (all three focus motor modes (One Shot, Ai-Focus, Ai-servo/Continuous, etc) and all frame modes (single, continuous, silent, etc). None work UNTIL I SET THE LIVE VIEW/VIDEO MODE TO disable autofocus ;-). Otherwise the lens won't move or hunts. It is impossible to set the camera for focus stacking until this LIVE VIEW/VIDEO mode (fourth tab in meneu for readers) is set to disable autofocus. THANKS. :oops: Works perfect now.

Cheers;
Silverleapers