Proper video driver message

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
upeters

Proper video driver message

Post by upeters »

Hello,

I installed Helicon Remote today on my notebook, for trying out the product with my Canon T3i. This is a Vaio portable (VGN-P630A/Q), with a 1600x768 screen, and latest drivers from Intel for the GMA 500 chip, running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I start Helicon Remote, I get an error message telling me that "my PC is lacking a proper video driver". I am not sure what is going on - sure, it isn't a 3D capable video chip, and the processor of the portable is just an Atom, but I intend to save all photos directly on the camera's memory card, and the available processing power should certainly be good enough to exchange control commands with the T3i over the USB connection. Am I missing something here, and if, what?

Also, I am thinking about purchasing a "Pro" license, as long as I can get the program working. Am I allowed to install/activate the software on both my desktop and portable? I am the only user of both computers, work from home, live alone, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Ulrich
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Proper video driver message

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Ulrich,

We have recently re-made this error message, so there might be a mistake. Please send us a bug report and we'll have a look.

You can activate Helicon products on up to 4 different computers.
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

I am having the same error message regarding a video driver missing.
The computer is an older HP with ATI Xpress 200M video card. BTW, EOS Utility will run just fine and display camera live view.

Thanks!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

EOS Utility doesn't use hardware acceleration by means of video processor.
Either there indeed is no video driver apart from the default Microsoft one (which doesn't work with Remote), or there are 2 video adapters in your PC. In the latter case, disabling the other adapter should fix the issue.
mage1

Post by mage1 »

upeters wrote:Hello,

I installed Helicon Remote today on my notebook, for trying out the product with my Canon T3i. This is a Vaio portable (VGN-P630A/Q), with a 1600x768 screen,...
Hi upeters (Hi everybody :) ),
did you solved the problem?
I have the same laptop (the European version VGN-P11Z/R) and i get the same error.
I've used the last version of Helicon Remote (3.3.7).

thanks
upeters

Post by upeters »

Hi mage,

no, I gave up and did not test this again with a more recent version. Instead, I purchased the Android version for my tablet.

Ulrich
mage1

Post by mage1 »

upeters wrote:Hi mage,

no, I gave up and did not test this again with a more recent version. Instead, I purchased the Android version for my tablet.

Ulrich

oh, ok
Thanks for the answer :)
This mini computer was a gift but I can't find a real use, everything run slow (even the OS, now have XP) or just don't works.
Is just a electronic typewriter :lol:
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I don't know if it has sufficient hardware to run Remote, but this particular error is purely a software issue. Sometimes it indicates that no vendor driver has been installed, and sometimes the driver is installed but it's not activated by Windows. In the latter case, you should go to device manager, find your video adapter, right click it and select Update driver software -> Browse my computer -> Let me pick from a list. Here make sure "Show compatible hardware" is checked, and see if there's Intel / nVidia / AMD drivers in the list (depending on what manufacturer's adapter you have installed). If there is - double-click it to install. If there isn't, then you don't have a vendor driver installed.
mage1

Post by mage1 »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:I don't know if it has sufficient hardware to run Remote, but this particular error is purely a software issue. Sometimes it indicates that no vendor driver has been installed, and sometimes the driver is installed but it's not activated by Windows. In the latter case, you should go to device manager, find your video adapter, right click it and select Update driver software -> Browse my computer -> Let me pick from a list. Here make sure "Show compatible hardware" is checked, and see if there's Intel / nVidia / AMD drivers in the list (depending on what manufacturer's adapter you have installed). If there is - double-click it to install. If there isn't, then you don't have a vendor driver installed.

Hi Stas,
yes, I have the (last) vendor's drivers:

Fullsize: oi61.tinypic.com/34e7ndg.jpg

Maybe the problem is the videocard with only 8MB of RAM !?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I guess this card is just too old. Although the error message should have been different.
eugenik

Post by eugenik »

Good day,
1. I got a similar message, I have netbook u321, OS Windows 7 professional. I installed version 3.9.2 and I can not run the program. It says "Your PC is missing a proper video driver".
I have reinstalled all the available drivers, without success.
Version 3.2.7 WORKS WITHOUT PROBLEMS. Probably a problem with the version of helicon remote. (3.9.2)

2. Can I use the latest license to version 3.2.7?
well thank you
Machine translation
eugenik

Post by eugenik »

+
Version 3.6.2.0 WORKS WITHOUT PROBLEMS
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This is not a programming error on our part. The older versions work because they use hardware GPU acceleration to a lesser extent (or not at all), and thus are less demanding of the GPU features.
What is your GPU? You can look it up by typing Win+R -> dxdiag -> Enter -> "Display 1" tab.
eugenik

Post by eugenik »

Thanks, if this is the case, I have to stay with the older version.
Can I use the latest license old version (3.6.2)?
typ chip is GMA 950,
well thank you
Machine translation
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, GMA 950 is very old, no wonder you're getting this message. Try version 3.6.2: http://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemote3.6.2.exe