Memory card error message

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RFPhotog

Memory card error message

Post by RFPhotog »

Am doing some experimenting with the app and was able to record video on one attempt. There is an SD card in the SD card slot of my D800 but no CF card in the CF slot.

After disconnecting the camera and reconnecting, I'm now unable to record video. The following error message is received: "A flash card is necessary for recording video. It is currently missing."

I am able to capture stills, but not video.

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Memory card error message

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Could you please send us a bug report right after you get this message?
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

Sure. If it happens again, I will. I managed to get it resolved this morning by clearing the app cache and data, but don't know if that will just be a temporary fix.
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

OK, report sent.

I was in Helicon and recorded a couple clips of video. I exited Helicon using the Menu>Exit command and opened DSLR Dashboard; another remote controller app. Did a couple things in that app then went back to Helicon without fully exiting Dashboard (simply hit the Home button).

If I actually close the other app via the its close/exit function, then Helicon works fine.

It seems that Helicon is seeing a conflict between the two apps in some way. The other app doesn't see the same conflict. If I simply go back to the Home screen via the button and open Dashboard, it works fine even though I haven't 'properly' closed/exited Helicon.

Hope that helps.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's the cause of the issue, it seems. Only one application can work with a specific USB device at any given time on Android. On any operating system, actually, but some are more prone to conflicts than others. What happened is Dashboard consumed a message from the camera that specified available memory cards. Remote never got that message, it's clear form the report. The fact that Dashboard doesn't seem to care if Remote is running or not is pure luck, sooner or later it will fail as well. Always exit one before using the other.
As a side note: is there a specific reason why you have to use Dashboard? Is some of its functions lacking in Remote?
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

Hi Stas,

OK, I get it. Makes perfect sense.

As for why Dashboard, for the book I'm working on, I'm looking at a wide variety of apps that do things I think readers would want to do. It's just a matter of discussing available options.
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

Unfortunately, I'm getting this error again.

There are no other camera control apps running and Helicon is being used after a reboot so no other apps should be conflicting. I've tried clearing the app cache and data and still have the error.

I'm using a D800 tethered to a Google Nexus 7 2. All the other functions of the app appear to work fine, it's just the video mode and this error message. There are cards in both the CF and SD card slots.

After formatting the cards, I was able to record video; however, the cards were not full before formatting. Is it a matter that the app isn't recognising the cards because they have existing data on them when inserted in the camera?

On another note, very happy to see the rack focus option now available in video mode. Cool! We had talked about making the rack speed adjustable too, right?

Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have talked about that indeed, but that's much harder to implement.
As for the cards: if the camera detects the camera, Remote should as well, and vice versa. Please reproduce the error and send a bug report.