Default Quality Settings

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
bernynhel

Default Quality Settings

Post by bernynhel »

I opened Remote and started shooting with my previous settings, 1 sec exposure with the aperture at 16 - unchanged from my last session. After a day and a half I started to work with the shots I had taken in Filter and noticed the size of the pics - I had been loading groups to the que with noise and re-size presets - the size preset limiting one side of each image to 1600 pixels but the images were at 300-400 pixels per side so I go back to remote and see the quality setting at "Normal small 1 jpeg", or something, not the RAW setting I always work in. This has happened in the past, the quality setting having reverted to this same value but I caught it after just a few shots. Not this time, unfortunately. Why a default value is pre-selected, at all, for this feature, especially something that, if not changed, could render so much work as completely useless, is beyond me. A default at the RAW setting, at least, couldn't hurt anybody. By what stretch of the imagination is "Normal small 1 jpeg" intuitive? Needless to say, a default setting of "Please select from pull-down menu", prompting the user to choose from the pull-down rather than chance beginning to work at a specific value would have saved me about 12 hours of work. Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Default Quality Settings

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There's no concept default quality setting. Image quality can only change to small JPEG in two cases: if you don't have a valid license (in which case a message is displayed so you can hardly miss it), or when shooting preview for the duration of this one shot. I. e. the original quality is restored once shooting preview image is finished. However, if something went wrong, and, say, Remote has crashed mid-preview, then the quality will not be restored. If you think that might have been the case, you could go to settings -> Shooting and set preview quality to high quality, although on Android it might make shooting preview slower, especially with cameras like D800 (which has 36 MP resolution).
bernynhel

Post by bernynhel »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:There's no concept default quality setting. Image quality can only change to small JPEG in two cases: if you don't have a valid license (in which case a message is displayed so you can hardly miss it), or when shooting preview for the duration of this one shot. I. e. the original quality is restored once shooting preview image is finished. However, if something went wrong, and, say, Remote has crashed mid-preview, then the quality will not be restored. If you think that might have been the case, you could go to settings -> Shooting and set preview quality to high quality, although on Android it might make shooting preview slower, especially with cameras like D800 (which has 36 MP resolution).
Yes, the program had crashed upon clicking the preview tile. But why would the quality be the only setting to stick to a value other than one I selected before the program crashed upon restarting the program? If it is because that is the only setting to shift from the selected value for preview shots, then it should be a relatively simple problem to address, if only due to the narrow scope of it. Since we are all using computers, I should think it wouldn't be necessary to hand write a reminder on a Post-It and stick it to my monitor to help me remember to check the quality setting after a restart should Remote again crash upon attempting to shoot a preview. I do have valid licenses - one for each of your programs - and would suggest that something be done to help prevent this scenario, going forward. A warning pop-up prompting one to check the quality setting upon attempting to take a picture after restarting the program following a crash under similar circumstances, in the least, would be as appreciated as it would be prudent. I hadn't known that previews were conducted with a fixed default quality setting or if I had, I forgot, which might require an additional Post-It stuck to my monitor and as one might imagine, the continued use of this practice has the potential of eventually becoming counterproductive.Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

A prompt before taking a shot with any quality other than RAW or the best JPEG sounds good to me, we'll add that.