Recommended Android Mobile for D800?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Falk Lumo

Recommended Android Mobile for D800?

Post by Falk Lumo »

I am going to purchase a dedicated android mobile phone just for Helicon Remote. E.g., an unbranded Samsung S3 is only $200 now and I can always put an unused prepaid card (note, no way I'll use a droid mobile phone for phoning, so I am looking for a choice which is small, works reliably and isn't too expensive).

Any recommendation (to be used with a D800E)?

I couldn't find a list of supported Android devices on the web site.

Kind regards,
Falk
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Recommended Android Mobile for D800?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Falk,

Maintaining such a list is not feasible, given the number of Android devices out there and the rate new devices appear at.
Samsung devices are a solid choice, but note that Android ROMs with limited USB support has been increasingly popular lately. Which is to say, it's possible that a phone won't detect cameras with stock ROm, in which case you'd need to install a custom ROM with no such limitations.
Falk Lumo

Post by Falk Lumo »

Hi Stas,

thank You for your reply, however, it is not useful. I assume there are a number of people who would consider buying Helicon Remote in conjunction with an affordable Android handset if the question were answered properly. Let me restate it more clearly:

I do NOT own an Android device. Therefore, pointing to cryptic hints such as "Android ROMs with limited USB support" is NOT useful. E.g., I use an iPhone and it works out of the box for what it does. I cannot spend my time diving into the droid universe to figure out what you mean which is why I was asking the question I did.

So, what I need is something really simple: YOUR concrete as possible advice of which droid device to buy. Exact model number or designation if there are problems with ROM variations as you write. The droid device will be purchased to be used exclusively to run Helicon Remote. So, it shall not be more expensive than necessary and the screen shall no be larger than that of a smart phone (as live view resolution is limited anyway). If any of the recommended devices has a bright display (OLED) it would be a plus for outdoor use.

So, which device to buy? Samsung S2, Samsung S2 mini, Samsung S3, Samsung S3 mini, what else?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We can't say for sure because any of the devices you've mentioned may or may not have Android build that won't detect cameras. It seems that the same devices have different Android builds depending on region (and, maybe, some other factors). The only way to know for sure it'll work is to actually connect a camera to it.
Falk Lumo

Post by Falk Lumo »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:The only way to know for sure it'll work is to actually connect a camera to it.
Which I can't do before buying one.
So, there is really no way to buy a device which supports Helicon Remote?
Makes me wonder why you took the business risk to support Android at all ...

Other idea:
If it is just a matter of a proper firmware image ... What about buying ANY (unbranded, unlocked) device, e.g., Samsung Galaxy S2, and download and flash the proper (US English) firmware image? Where would I find this image?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There is no way to tell with 100% certainty that we know of and that doesn't involve gambling.

There's a custom ROM project called CyanogenMod, the offer ready and tested ROMs for quite a few popular devices: http://get.cm/

There are also many more ROMs, many can be found at http://www.xda-developers.com/