D600 and HTC one via USB OTG

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Nguyennh

D600 and HTC one via USB OTG

Post by Nguyennh »

Hi,
I tried to connect my D600 to HTC one via usb otg cable but it did not work. The phone had the warning "The USB device you have connected is not support. Please unplug both the USB device and the dongle".
The helicon remote does not recognize the camera.
So how can I config my camera and my phone? Or what ealse I must do to use elicon remote?
Thank you.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: D600 and HTC one via USB OTG

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sounds like your Android has restricted USB capability, this can probably be solved by installing a custom ROM.
NguyenNH

Post by NguyenNH »

The Android version of my phone is 4.1.2
software number is 1.29.707.17
HTC SDK APi level is 5.12
and kenel version is 3.4.10-g4919859 root@abm007#1 SMP PREEMPT

So what version can I update?
Thanks,
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I don't mean you need to update. It's a configuration issue. You need another Android build.
You can check if we're right by connecting a USB mouse. If a cursor appears on the screen - we are right.
ChrisGwynne

same problem with D7000 & HTC One

Post by ChrisGwynne »

Just switched to Android (from iphone) so I could directly control my Nikon D7000 camera via USB and have been looking at Helicon Remote for some time. So I just got an OTG cable for my HTC One and when I connect my Nikon, it says "The USB device you have connected is not supported. Please unplug both the USB device and the dongle".

I am able to connect thumbdrives to the OTG cable without issue. I realize this is not a Helicon issue but I've searched the net and can't find a solution.

If I need to root this (which I have not learned how to do , though I've jailbroken previous iDevices) let me know where I can read up on that for this specific phone. But it would be my preference to get this all to work with the factory settings.

BTW, as per your other response, when I connect a USB mouse it also works

Thanks for your help
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Rooting itself doesn't do anything. What you need to do is install alternative Android ROM (firmware) without USB limitations. I recommend CyanogenMOD as the most popular and well-documented. You have quite a popular phone, there should be specific instructions for it there.
ayubsamar

Post by ayubsamar »

htc is launching new mobiles every know and then.. know even we cant remmber the models..
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

HTC doesn't enable OTG USB Host mode in its phones. Not even its high end phones. Sad but true. Other than Samsung, few manufacturers do natively support USB Host. Again, sad but true.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That is not entirely correct because we've heard some HTC One units work out of the box. But not others.
RFPhotog

Post by RFPhotog »

I've seen people using HTC phones and having it work as well. I've seen reviews on the Play Store and have tried to contact a couple of those users to find out their configuration. But HTC has told me that they don't support USB Host. My understanding is that as of Android 4.2 it may be enabled in some HTC devices.