Stackshot hint?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
brentbristol

Stackshot hint?

Post by brentbristol »

I recently bought a Cognysis Stackshot kit and have worked out how to develop a stack with the controller only. I was interested in using it with Helicon Remote to take advantage of its extensive exposure bracketing capability, but can't get the rail to move through the software to define the near and far points. I have connected the camera and the motor controller to a Win7 32 bit netbook via two separate mini-usb cables. Am I missing simple thing to be able to operate the Stackshot rail from Helicon Remote? Helicon Remote recognizes the camera, but does not affect the controller. I set the Stackshot small setting to 1000 micro-steps just to make sure that I wasn't being fooled by a step size that was too small. The Helicon Remote version is 2.5.8.w.

Best Regards,
Brent Bristol
brentbristol

Re: Stackshot hint?

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Stas. Initially the new beta version did not seem to work on the netbook so I tried a desktop PC. The desktop system immediately started searching for a USB controller driver, apparently for one buried in the stackshot. Afterward I was able to operate the stackshot rail from within Helicon Remote. For some reason the netbook did not automatically go out to find a USB controller driver so I located the stackshot in the netbooks device list and forced an update to its driver. It also found a USB controller driver. After a reboot the netbook was also able to control the stackshot rail from within Helicon Remote. I'm looking forward to trying this out soon. Thank you for your help.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Also, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the shutter trigger cable is not required to be connected between the stackshot and the camera while working within Helicon Remote. Version 2.6.0 works as well. The missing link seemed to the USB controller driver.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The cable is not required if your camera is supported by Remote and you connect it to PC via USB. In that case you get full camera control from Remote - live view, shooting, changing settings etc. If a camera is not supported by Remote, shutter cable is the way to go.