Slow 5 shot exposure bracket

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
wisep01

Slow 5 shot exposure bracket

Post by wisep01 »

Hi all,
The equipment: The camera is a d5100; the android phone is Galaxy note 2, which is USB host capable.

The problem: using the camera's in-built Auto-exposure 3-shot bracketing, the camera takes the bracket @ 4 shots/sec. However, when I use Helicon remote to take a 5 shot (or any other shot #) exposure bracket, I only get around 1 shot/second. Note: all images have been set to remain in-camera; shot in jpg basic; manual focus.

My question: is this expected behavior for Helicon remote or is it capable of taking shots at the maximum speed that the camera is capable of?

Thanks to Stas and anyone else who might be able to help.

P.S. I apologize if a question like this has already been answered before or is common knowledge. I did search the forum before posting it.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Slow 5 shot exposure bracket

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hi,
Unfortunately, this is normal. In terms of time, there's a lot of overhead from using remote control protocol. You can speed things up a bit by setting the lens to MF and setting Prefences -> Shooting -> Disable live view during shooting to "yes".
kotukh

Post by kotukh »

I have Nikon D800. And when I do shooting, Helicon Remote makes approximately 1 shot in 3 seconds (not 1 shot in 1 second). I save photos in jpeg to card only.
Is it normal?
When I need to do around 40 stacks a day with 30 photos in every stack, it's impossibly slow! It makes the program useless for me.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's normal, especially if you're shooting focus stacks.