Stepping problems during shooting

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
mcadkins

Stepping problems during shooting

Post by mcadkins »

Using HR I can successfully set the near and far points and check the saved points, the camera focus moves normally. However, when I acquire the stack, the is no changing of the focus point. The entire stack is at the same distance. The numbers change in the software, but the lens does not step. I have tried MF and AF. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Stepping problems during shooting

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the report. No ideas yet, we're considering the problem.
kinon

Post by kinon »

Hello Mark,

This happened to me once. In my case I did not pay attention to the fact that after selecting near and far points I had not noticed that the number of steps was very important! In this case it seems that HR does not work but in reality it advance with very tiny steps, too tiny to see the ring distances turn.
Verify your settings.
Stas definitely will tell you what settings cause these steps too tiny
Sorry for my english very limited
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Step size is set up in File -> Preferences -> Shooting -> Nikon/Canon. Default size is 15 for Nikon and big for Canon. However, in Mark's case this can't be the issue because he said focus does move fine when pressing buttons, and doesn't move when actually shooting a stack (these two processes are largely identical and utilize the same settings).
mcadkins

Post by mcadkins »

Regardless of the stack size, all of the images have the same focal distance. It definitely is not moving during shooting. Might try a different camera although I wanted the resolution of the MK III

Mark
felixv

Post by felixv »

same problem here. with Nikon D300S & Micro Nikkor 70-180. everything works ok in interface, but the actual photos all have the same focus point.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's probably not the same issue. For Nikon cameras this is usually fixed by resetting camera body settings.
mcadkins

Post by mcadkins »

I had a bunch of custom settings on my MK III, reset the camera and still had the problem
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Is it still the same after reset? Focus actually shifts when using focus step buttons in Remote, but doesn't move when shooting stack?
mcadkins

Post by mcadkins »

That is correct. Everything is fine setting up the stack, no movement during the shoot.
foundation-

Post by foundation- »

My father is having this problem with his 5d mark III. I just tested it with my 5d mark III and I'm able to replicate the problem when "Disable LiveView mode during shooting" is set to no. It focuses before hand, sets near and far, and then moves to beginning and shoots all the images at the beginning focus point. If you hit stop shooting, it moves the focus (back to the beginning I think)

I am able to get my 5d mark III to move the focus while shooting when the "Disable LiveView mode during shooting" setting is set to yes.

Unfortunately the mirror lockup mode is not detected so disabling live view during shooting is not a viable option as it vibrates the camera.
foundation-

Post by foundation- »

As further follow up, my 1D X exhibits the same behavior as the 5d mark III. if disable live view while shooting = yes, it works, if disable live view while shooting = no, doesn't change focus.
Also the 1D X mirror lock up is not detected. I just did the report a bug feature from the 1D X.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We've received your report, thanks. We are investigating it.
It's weird, though, we know for sure some Canon 5D Mk III owners are using focus bracketing without issues. There must be more factors in play here (and we don't have a 5D Mk III to test yet, sadly).
Grayscale

Post by Grayscale »

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a Canon 60d with a Tamron 180mm Macro lens. Works fine when adjusting the focus using the buttons, but not when shooting a stack.
mtapes

Post by mtapes »

My problem is similar. When i produce the stack it is if the first few photos focus point moves slightly, but then nothing for the rest of the stack. In my case the fine move button does not work either. I have tracked it down to the NIKON preference setting. A step size of 9 or higher works, but 8 or less does not. I need a step size of 1 to work.

OS X 10.8.2
Nikon D600 85mmf1.8

Will now try a difference camera and lens.