Helicon Remote für Ipad

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
braunschweiger

Helicon Remote für Ipad

Post by braunschweiger »

Hello, can i use my Ipad mit the Helicon Remote?
I have the Pro Version, but i don't find the Software how can i install of my Ipad.
With USB i can adapter my DSLR to the Ipad and i hope, that i can usw my Ipad as a Remotecontrol for Macroshooting.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote für Ipad

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

iPad version of Helicon Remote is under development now. We plan to release it early 2013.

iPad version is not able to connect to the camera via USB cable due to restrictions of iOS.

It works only over Wi-Fi connection. You will need additional piece of hardware to control your camera. The following combinations are possible:
- Helicon Remote for iPad <-Wi-Fi -> Nikon WT module (about $1000) <-USB-> Nikon camera
- Helicon Remote for iPad <-Wi-Fi -> Canon WTF module (about $700) + Canon camera
- Helicon Remote for iPad <-Wi-Fi -> Android phone or tablet with USB host support (about $450) <-USB OTG cable-> Canon or Nikon camera
- Helicon Remote for iPad <-Wi-Fi -> Any Windows or Mac OS computer <-USB-> Canon or Nikon camera

Android/iOS version of Helicon Remote comes with Helicon Focus Premium license and can be purchased separately.
Johnmanis

Post by Johnmanis »

Will Helicon Remote for Ipad work with the Camranger wireless unit? Cheaper than Canon/Nikon units.

http://www.camranger.com/
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It won't. At least, not in any near future.
jebo

Post by jebo »

Johnmanis wrote:Will Helicon Remote for Ipad work with the Camranger wireless unit? Cheaper than Canon/Nikon units.

http://www.camranger.com/
why do you even need helicon remote if you use camranger? camranger does the job. the benefit of helicon remote is its lower price.
Johnmanis

Post by Johnmanis »

Price for Camranger Hardware with Ipad App is $300. Helicon remote for IPad is software only, I suppose will be about $40, so I need to find a compatible wireless unit for the software for a lot less than the Canon unit

I prefer the Helicon remote software especially for focus stacking. Set In & Out focus then auto number of shots :D Why? as follows:

This is extracted from an email reply from Camranger concerning how their software focus stacking works. (I am a Canon user)

"CamRanger works by first moving your focal plane to the nearest point and then specifying the step size you want to have between shots and how many shots to take. It is pretty quick to get a feel for how many shots at each step size are required and if you need more you can just start it up again as you are already at the right focal plane for a new sequence. Canon only provides three focus adjustments: small, medium, and large, with no real world meaning behind them" So in conclusion you need to set initial point then YOU guess the step size to use (small, medium, and large with no real world meaning behind them) and YOU set how many shots to take. Helicon remote takes away this guess work.
Last edited by Johnmanis on 25.01.2013 05:58, edited 3 times in total.
Johnmanis

Post by Johnmanis »

Ok next question. Will Helicon Remote for ipad work with wireless unit CameraMator

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _dslr.html
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We will only support the options described in the second post of this thread initially. No non-standard wi-fi modules for now.

P. S. You're not exactly right that Helicon Remote takes all the guesswork away, as DOF calculator gives more of a hint than a definitive result, and you still need to set up DOF calculator initially to get good numbers from it.
darcygeale

Post by darcygeale »

Will Helicon for Ipad work with Nikon WU-1b wireless transmitter?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We have no idea, haven't tried it with WU-1 yet.
Falk Lumo

Post by Falk Lumo »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:iPad version of Helicon Remote is under development now. We plan to release it early 2013.
Hi Stas,

this is great news and I express my support for your hard work. It made me buy the premium version.

I'll be using the "computer in the middle" version as USB wire length is no issue in my studio.

Please keep us informed about your progress. As early 2013 would be now ;)
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes you are right, we should edit posts in the forum and replace it with "late 2013" :) If seriously, we postponed iPad version a bit to complete changes in Android version.
jockscott

Post by jockscott »

when you have ipad wifi beta version I would like to test with WU-1b and nikon D600. The wu-1b only costs about $75 therefore much more affordable than the other wireless transmitters and other apps show that liveview functions are available over wifi for example.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

At the moment we don't know whether Wu-1 units will be supported or not, but we should find it out pretty soon after the new Android / desktop version is out.