Android 4 and Samsung S2

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dogcatcher

Android 4 and Samsung S2

Post by dogcatcher »

At last Ice Cream Sandwich has reached my phone so that I can try the beta Android version. Essentially it doesn't fit on the screen and different parts of it become viewable when I switch from portrait to landscape but at no time does a run or shoot button appear. I think that the scroll in portrait doesn't work. But it looks good, it has potential, however for stacked photographs I shall continue with my laptop.

What I really have need of is a similar programme which allows live view and focusing and camera settings, but takes single shots on my Canon 7D. Because my subjects are often small (insects) and some are sensitive to ultrasound (they don't want to be eaten by bats). I have to use manual focus and I find that the viewfinder/screen on the camera is not fine enough to always get focused shots. My phone screen is suitable, I just need the software - or should I now go and buy a tablet?

John
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Android 4 and Samsung S2

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Our software can do everything you need. But we need to adapt it for smart phone resolutions. This task is already in our to-do list. If Live View quality is critical for you, I still would recommend a tablet. Live View image from 7D is about 1024x768, I do not think you want it to be downsized for viewing.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

This is absolutely fantastic, I complain that that Helicon Remote doesn't work properly on my Samsung S2 smart phone on 19th April and by the end of the month there is a new beta version of Helicon Remote for Android which does work. I just tried some stack shots from a camera propped up on my desk and the results are better than using a proper set-up. One advantage with the small live view is that I am able to tilt it into shadow to see the image better and I think that the focusing detail is better than on my laptop screen.
Many thanks for all your efforts - if you have a spare few minutes could you knock up an Android version of Helicon focus :D :?:
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We thought about integrating stacking into Helicon Remote for Android. Currently tablets do not have enough memory and power to compete with desktop computers so we thought about stacking downsized images for preview purposes. For example, you are in the field and want to make sure that stack is ok before returning to home.