A little help with my first image

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
remltr

A little help with my first image

Post by remltr »

Nikon D700
Tamron 90mm micro

71 shots, sorry don't remember the interval. Closed remote before I thought to write anything down.

Front 1/2 is very soft as is the back 1/8 or so. Center is much better, yet still has some issues.

I know subject is difficult as it has no hard edges. (and maybe this is the whole issue.

Attached image is full frame, no crop. Image sized down for viewing

Shot as tiffs.

Focus result B, 3, 4

Thanks for any recommendations.

Dave
Attachments
Focus-Result-(B,-3,-4).jpg
Focus-Result-(B,-3,-4).jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
remltr

Re: A little help with my first image

Post by remltr »

I was able to help myself some. By using the retouching/cloning tool in Focus.

In the attached image you see the results. I brought into PS to sharpen. I exaggerated the sharpenning to distinguish what I believe was a failure in Remote to get the foreground in focus, even with the close focus point set to the "closest point", or a operator error in setting the closest point. I was unable to find a cloneable image to resolve the foreground into focus.

Can someone please give their read of this?

My next practice image will be something with a little more focusable structure.

Thanks,

Dave
Attachments
Focus-Result-3-(B,-8,-4).jpg
Focus-Result-3-(B,-8,-4).jpg (178.92 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
remltr

Post by remltr »

OK, I think it was operator error. I redid the shot, with a different tomato, (I ate the first one) :mrgreen:
Also used a definite contrast point on the front of tomato for close focus point.
Also changed out lens to 60mm Nikor and only needed 8 shots at f3.6
Also only needed a little retouching which I did not do (on the upper portion in the leaves.
Attachments
16Apr12-Tomato-(B,-8,-4).jpg
16Apr12-Tomato-(B,-8,-4).jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I would suggest to make a stack of texture like in our example http://www.heliconsoft.com/focus/help/e ... ION_FACTOR

Make sure that your lens goes forth and back without loosing steps or stumbling somewhere in between. We had a lens that has difficulty crossing from macro to normal focusing range.