Live View Disabled On Canon 7D

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
brentbristol

Live View Disabled On Canon 7D

Post by brentbristol »

I generally have my Canon 7D set to enable live view. When I use Helicon Remote it uses live view on the computer monitor, but disables live view on the camera. Once the Remote session has completed it does not restore live view to the enable setting. I frequently have to locate the setting in the camera menus and manually reset live view to enable. Would it be possible for remote to reset the live view setting to enable before it closes? Otherwise I enjoy using Helicon Remote, even as a tethered trigger for the manual focus MP-E65.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Live View Disabled On Canon 7D

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We are trying to restore camera settings after session is completed. We will check if this is true for LiveView.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Stas!
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

If I unplug the USB cable before stopping Helicon Remote the live view feature is enabled on my camera, but if I disconnect the camera after normally exiting Remote then the live view feature is disabled. It appears that Remote is intentionally disabling the live view feature just prior to closing.
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Is there a possibility that turning off live at exit can become an option that a user can choose or not?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We will consider adding such an option. It may require significantly changing the existing code, which is never a good thing.
Why do you need to leave live view turned on? Can't you re-engage it manually using camera body button?
brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Stas,
I'm not leaving live view on, Remote is disabling the option to turn on live view. It is the top item in the 7D menu item shown. When it is set to disable one can not start live view by pushing the live view button on the back of the camera. I have to get into this menu and reset it to enable before I can start live view by pressing the live view button. Setting this menu item to "enable" does not cause live view to be on, it just makes it possible to turn on live view by pressing the button on the back of the camera. When this item is set to disable one cannot start live view for the purpose of taking still photos. The movie switch still works, but live view for stills is disabled.
Attachments
Live View Enable.jpg
Live View Enable.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This property gets reset upon live view activation, not deactivation. We have solved this problem for 5D Mk II, but looks like 7D behaves somewhat differently. We'll look into it.