D300 & Helicon Remote freezing.

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
mathrafal

Re: D300 & Helicon Remote freezing.

Post by mathrafal »

This is a problem for me as well. I am using Helicon focus and remote to take images for 360-degree high-resolution object movies. I need it to apply the same settings to a minimum of 36 consecutive images, which consist each of 10 slices.

The frustration that arises after completing just 15 images, which can take half an hour or longer, and then having to begin again, is unbelievable.

I asked Helicon about this on Monday 30 Jan:
I switched lenses and this has helped considerably. However, there seems to be a bug with the program itself, in that it often sticks at 99% and needs closing down when this happens. When I am doing a 36x16 shot rotation, this can be an absolute pain, since I have to go back to the beginning again. After 33 shots, this is rather frustrating.
This is the reply I got:
Ah well, they've had my money, so it doesn't matter any longer.

Jon
mathrafal

Post by mathrafal »

I sent a message 24 hours ago, which has not been posted here. Possibly because it was critical about Helicon taking money but not answering messages.

It gets sent to the moderator before being posted here. I wonder if the moderator has a vested interest in not having any critical comments on this forum.

Likewise, I do not expect this posting to be published or an answer to come as a result of it.

SO, Helicon . . . Stas, if I might be so bold: the money I have paid for your product is a lot to me. I am a start-up company that takes time before investing a single dollar, since each time I do, I eat that little less that day. I bought this program not only for its stacking ability, but also because the remote function seemed to be ideal for the kind of work I do. If there is a bug, then it is up to you to spend your time fixing it. It is also your duty to report back to your customers who have become frustrated with the product on what is being done to fix the problem. Please remember that we are not all hobby photographers, and for some, incomes depend on having bug-free software and a value-for-money service.

Jon
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We promised you a new version two days ago but we discovered a few more minor bugs. Today we published it as beta: http://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/He ... usBeta.exe
TLKG

Post by TLKG »

I don't get the hangs any longer. Here are the issues in this release I am seeing:

- All the pictures complete but the focus never changes from the first image. i.e. all the images appear to be the same. Camera is in autofocus mode.

- When I use the autofocus and select the first focus point it focuses fine and I press the "A" button to set the first point. I then select the end focus point, the camera focuses on that point fine but when I press the "B" button to set the end point I get the message that the A and B points cannot be the same and the "B" point is never set so I use the ">>" symbols to set the number of shots.

Camera is a Nikon D7000
Lens is a Tokina 100mm Macro f2.8 D

TLKG
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please try to do the same sequence (Save A, several >> steps, Save B) and then send us log file (menu\Help\Report a bug)
Make sure you are using the latest 2.3.16 version from our site.
TLKG

Post by TLKG »

Hi Stas,

I did send a error report just before I posted the reply. If you need another one I will try to get one out to you later today ...
TLKG

Post by TLKG »

Just wanted to check to see if you will be having any Helicon Remote updates in the near future that might address the D7000 issues.

Thank you!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, we plan to fix this bug of course. Our developers will contact you directly if we need your testing. I hope you entered your email when sending bug reports.
TLKG

Post by TLKG »

Just wanted to check to see if the latest version of Helicon Remote is 2.3.16 w Beta and if so when we might expect an new update.

I'm using the D7000 and the current 2.3.16w Beta version doesn't work with my camera/lens combo (i.e. doesn't perform focus steps). I did submit various bug reports but have not seen anything that might correct the problems I am seeing.

Thank you.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry, Helicon Remote does not support your lens.
TLKG

Post by TLKG »

Bummer! :(

Is there a published list of supported lens?

At least I can stop trying see if I can make it work.... :wink:
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry, we don't have the list of supported lens.
Laddy

Post by Laddy »

Hi, I have the same problem, remote hangs after seemingly random n umber of exposures. Funny thing is, it seems to hang in jpeg capture, not in RAW capture.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

please go to Helicon Remote menu \ Help \ Report a bug and send a report with log file from there. This will help us to understand the problem.
Laddy

Post by Laddy »

Just tried to take jpg's, and remote worked fine. An intermittent bug is a real pain too find. I can give you all I can remember. When Remote locked up, the screen remained all grey. Also, I looked at the directory where I was saving images to, and none were there. Good Luck, if it happens again, I'll make sure to send it in.