Stepper drivers

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Saul

Stepper drivers

Post by Saul »

What other stepper motor drivers could be used with HR ?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Stepper drivers

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We plan to add support for this inexpensive motor:

http://www.elv.de/output/controller.asp ... ch=&marke=

but we have not yet received the motor so I cannot promise it for sure.

If you have found some other make, please let us know.
Saul

Post by Saul »

Thanks Stas for your info.
I'm thinking about:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10267
They are popular enough in US.
plus some cheap PLC with transistor outputs to control items above.
If you can give info about the signals, coming from HR through RS 232 converter, maybe I can avoid using PLC.
More general information about these signals could help other users to use different stuff, not only made in EU, what is not available in US or other countries.
Thanks again !
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good option. The only thing that I was not able to find is how to connect this to computer? Finally it should be USB connection, RS232 is not available on modern computers and Macs. Right now we are using USB-RS232 converter to the motor driver.
Saul

Post by Saul »

Most guys using Arduino. I have idea to use Crouzet PLC (Schneider electric, Telemechanique) with PWM outputs. These PLC's has 232.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hmm... I looks too complicated. We would like to use ready components that only need to be wired correctly.
Bazer

Post by Bazer »

Hi Guys, it looks to me like its more which drive card Helicon will support rather than which stepper/servo motor? Of course this drive would have to be interpret Helicons communications protocols. Looking at the Trinamic system its based on a series of ASCII RS232 commands which could in theory be programmed into any microcontroller and hence used to interface with either a stepper driver or drive the stepper directly. It would make it easier for the community to do this if Helicon would be willing to provide details of the communication protocols its interface to the Trinamic system uses as I expect this is a subset of the full Trinamic comand set. Probably limited to ROL (rotate left), ROR (rotate right) and MST (motor stop)?

Would Helicon soft be prepared to publish this information, is the most important question?

Additional information on communication protocols/programme logic would also be useful for those using the Trinamic combined driver/stepper as I plan to do. Especially as this would help in calibrating the amount of physical movement in the camera, via the ball screw to the settings in Helicon remote.

Barry

PS I should say I have been using Helicon Remote with my 5D MKII and its works really well with Canons 24-105 mm zoom. Really good, thanks Helicon!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Barry,

We are interested that Helicon Remote support wide range of steppers so there is no problem in publishing the protocol. We can also keep these commands in external text file so you change commads like ROL to commands specific for your stepper.

Right now Helicon Remote works only with USB devices based on FTDI chip. They are used both by StackShot and USB-RS232 Converter that is recommended for Trinamic. If you device is not FTDI based, that would require low-level changes in USB handling, which is not simple.
Saul

Post by Saul »

Hi Stas,
When we can expect that ?
Thanks,
Saul
Bazer

Post by Bazer »

Hi Stas, thanks it will be good to see the comands. I now have the USB-RS232 cable and Trinamic stepper you recommend on my bench.

Looking forward to wiring it up and getting it working with my focus rail / linear slide.

I have also used the USB Canon interface with my 5D MKII and their f2.8: 100mm macro and again it works very well.

Cheers

Barry
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Barry,

We will update the page about stepper with the photo how the motor should be wired. As to the commands, I will put this task to our to-do list. That will take a week or two.
Bazer

Post by Bazer »

Hi Stas thanks,

Just to let you know that the Trinamic PD3 and FTDI USB are now up and running under Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate. Everything now works and I can use my old manual lenses with Helicon remote and the focus rack :)

Just one thing I did find was that the Trinamic software for testing did work really well under XP but I had some real problems which still are not sorted under Windows 7 64 bit. I am 99% sure its software in the TMCL-IDE package 1.91.

Just one thing I see you have added the ability to control the focus rack on its own with StackShot. This would also be useful for the Trinamic stepper interface asit would help when setting up a shot and when using other cameras which are not supported electronically for shutter control.

Barry
pierre4fun

Post by pierre4fun »

Hello Stas,

Thanks for your help.

I found out my arduino board includes a FTDI chip.
Does it will works with HR ?

Kind regards
Pierre
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Barry,

Thanks for letting us know about your success with Trinamic! I will discuss the possibility to allow its use without camera like a StackShot. Can you send a photo of your setup? I think other readers of this forums would be interested too.

Pierre,

Your board has different from Trinamic set of command so it requires separate interface.
pierre4fun

Post by pierre4fun »

Dear Stas,

Thanks.

Many I should work on your datas to solve the interfacing matter.
We will update the page about stepper with the photo how the motor should be wired. As to the commands, I will put this task to our to-do list. That will take a week or two.
I am afraid not having found those information.
Please, would you like to help finding a link ?
Sorry for the bother :oops:

Regards,
Pierre