Farthest / Nearest point not working

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
stillstonevisions

Farthest / Nearest point not working

Post by stillstonevisions »

I just downloaded Helicon Focus today and am using Remote with a Canon 50D.

The button to set the nearest focus point and the farthest focus point are consistently not working. Using the arrow keys I move the lens to those points and click the button to set them, but it does not remember the setting. If I then click "Move to nearest/farthest points, it does not go to the correct point. And if I proceed to shoot the stack, it does not do it correctly. In my latest test, it shot about 10 exposures extra which were completely out of focus beyond the chosen point.

Suggestions? Bug fixes?

Thanks,
Paul
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Farthest / Nearest point not working

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Paul,

I would need more information to understand exactly what is happening. We had a bug with 5D MKII : after autofocus the camera tended to miss steps. It was clearly heard if one puts an ear to the lens. We made a step forward >>> and step backward <<< . Normally the steps should be regular without any pauses between then. But after autofocus operation camera always missed steps.

We installed new firmware and the bug has gone. Please hear the steps on your camera and check if you have the same problem or not.
stillstonevisions

Ok, after further testing....

There are two related problems:

1. Once the "nearest point" and the "furthest point" are set, they are not consistently retained. I click on the appropriate icons to return the lens to those positions, I can hear the lens moving by steps, but it does not return to the set position. It goes instead to a position well short of the position that was set. The indicator for "Number of shots" is not correct. Just now in my testing, after setting both extreme points, and the distance in steps set to 9, the number of shots is 3. It should be 14.

2. When the start shooting button is clicked, it starts correctly, but is inconsistent and does not take the correct number of shots. In the present case, it took 3 shots, which, as stated, was far short of the necessary number of shots to cover the distance. In other testing, it OVERSHOT to furthest point, taking 12 more shots than necessary for the complete stack.

What appears to me to be happening is that either the nearest or the furthest points are being incorrectly reset during the adjustment process, without those icons being clicked.
stillstonevisions

I forgot to mention that I can hear the focusing motor moving by steps. I do not hear anything that seems unusual about this sound.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the tests. As to a number of tests, it should be very simple : number of shots =1 + (distance between A and B / distance between shots).

This is not exact formula which we use but close to it. I would appreciate screenshot if you see wrong values.

I can also recommed to set longer pause between focusing steps. Some lenses miss focusing steps if they have not enough time to complete previous step.
stillstonevisions

I have done additional testing as you requested. The "bug" is very consistent. I hope you can repeat this with a Canon 50D.

Test 1

1. Set "Distance calculator" Aperature = 4.0, Focal length = 100 Yields steps = 9
2. Use <<< to move to nearest point.
3. Define nearest point.
4. Use >>> to move to farthest point.
5. Define farthest point.
6. Shots = 46
7. Set Direction to "towards camera"
8. Click "Start Shooting"

Result 46 shots, but only 1-29 have a slice in focus. The remainder are taken with the lens focused "inside" of the nearest point.

Test 2.
1. Set "Distance calculator" Aperature = 4.0, Focal length = 100 Yields steps = 9
2. Use <<< to move to nearest point.
3. Define nearest point.
4. Use >>> to move to farthest point.
5. Define farthest point.
6. Shots = 30
7. Set Direction to "towards camera"
8. Click "Start Shooting"

Result: Number of shots changed spontaneously to 4 and only 4 shots were taken, resulting in a useless stack.

In addition, once both nearest and farthest points are set, I click on "Go to nearest focusing point". It does not move to the correct point, but only part way there and stops.
stillstonevisions

I forgot to mention that, under File/Preferences/Canon, I set the "Auto Focus Time" to 5 seconds, to allow more time for focusing as you suggested. Nonetheless, the interval between exposures was still 3 seconds, not 5.
stillstonevisions

Additional testing....

Previously described problem is still consistently happening. It shoots the set "number of shots", but approximately 25% of the shots are outside the set focal range. That is, if shooting "towards camera", it will consistently pass beyond the nearest point and continue shooting.

Also, while shooting a stack with "Remote", the "Stop shooting" icon yields a "program unresponsive" message on the first click. It continues shooting more exposures, but will generally respond after a 2nd or 3rd mouse-click.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

While we will check this ourself, you are welcome to test newer 2.0.13 version of Helicon Remote.

As to the pause, please use Pause for flash recharge on the General tab of the Preferences.

Please also define A and B points and go back and forth to detect if the lens does not miss steps.

We had a strange effect with 5DMKII: the camera began to miss steps after autofocus or TakePicture operation. This bug has gone after we updated firmware in the camera.
stillstonevisions

Stas wrote:

"Please also define A and B points and go back and forth to detect if the lens does not miss steps."

I am consistently unable to travel back and forth between defined points A and B. I have tried that many times. It never goes back to the previously defined point but goes somewhere else...either short of or beyond the defined point. I don't know how to answer your question as to whether the lens is "missing steps". As previously mentioned, I don't notice an unusual sounds, but perhaps I don't know what to listen for.

Paul
stillstonevisions

I am unable to find Remote version 2.0.13 for downloading. I am on a PC, not Mac.

I downloaded the latest version of Focus, with Remote 2.0.12 and tested.

1. Defined Point A (nearest). Point A icon now highlighted.
2. Moved to farthest point using >>>
3. Defined Point B. Point B icon now highlighted. Point A icon turns grey.
4. Clicked icon to move to Point A. Nothing happens.
stillstonevisions

Is there more assistance you need from me in tracking down this bug in Remote? I'm very interested in your software, but I'm not going to purchase it if Remote doesn't work with my Canon 50D.

Thanks,
Paul
stillstonevisions

I just updated the firmware for my 50D to the current version. I wish I could report that resolved the problem with Remote, but it did not. Testing after the firmware update reveals the same issue with failure of the "Go to Nearest Point" and "Go to Furthest Point" buttons to return the focus to those pre-set points.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You will find the latest version on the download page: http://www.heliconsoft.com/focus_downloads.html

Right now the latest is 2.0.14 version for both Mac and Windows.

We tested back and forth movement on Canon 24-70 L II lens. With our test Canon 5D MK II it does not miss steps but it gives very small shift if the steps are small. With big steps everything is ok. This seems to be mechanical issue.

Please make another test and send us (support@heliconsoft.com) log files (see menu\Preferences\Tools) afterwards.

In the Preferences/Canon please set step size to Big, Pause between steps to 200 ms. Do not use autofocus or make shots after turning the camera on. Run the usual test: set point A, move further, set point B, go back and forth several times.

This test will tell us if the lens is moving correctly with big steps and with bigger pause between steps.