Helicon Remote and Canon 40D

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote and Canon 40D

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, please try the latest release of Helicon Focus 5.1.9.
mitcheip

Post by mitcheip »

Hi, I have just downloaded the trial version of Helicon Focus after it was mentioned in Digital Camera magazine. I particularly like the idea of Helicon Remote but I have a Camera 40D and the focusing function does not appear to work, IE a similar problem to that described in this thread.

I have version 5.1.9 of the software, the camera is detected and the picture on the screen is what the camera is looking at, (if I move the camera the picture moves....).

If I use the Focus Control arrows the focus point doesn’t move. I also tried the focus slider and the mouse wheel over the liveview with the same result.

Any ideas?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There is not much we can help. SDK says that focus control is added for Canon 50D and later cameras. You might consider StackShot macro rails. We also are preparing new version of Helicon Remote which can control external stepper motor instead of the lens. This is good solution if you like assemling your own setups.
mitcheip

Post by mitcheip »

For Info I thought I might try an earlier version of the software given that a previous board contributor said that an earlier version had worked with the Canon 40D. I didn't find an older version but did find your recent release, not sure if Helicon remote was updated but Helicon Focus is now 5.1.12

I connected the camera but none of the focusing controls worked. I thought I would try a different lens, so I attached my Canon 17-85mm just to see if it made a difference and surprise surprise it worked. So I changed back to my Tamron Macro Lens and that worked as well.

Just to make sure I shut all the programmes down, switched off the camera and tried again - everything works as expected.

Good News....
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Good news indeed! Please keep us informed if you find some bugs.